1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DIY E-Bass idea & inputs needed

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Benni, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Benni

Benni

Hello everyone,
    I have made a couple of guitars in the past with a good degree of success, I am now into creating a e-Bass/Cello, the stage of fear or delight is ...... do you think that the shown neck area will be able to take the stress of the strings without self destruction ?
    The material is Maple and it is 5/8" thick where the tuners will be installed. If you have any ideas or concepts to increase the strength, if required please forward your input !

Many Thanks & Season's Best

Attached Files:

2. powerbass

powerbass

You might find more help from the EUB forum since there are folks over there building EUB's. The photo doesn't help answer your question since it is two separate pieces of wood - are you planning on a scarf joint, joining the maple to the dark wood? 5/8" maple should be fine as long as the scarf is done correctly. I'm assuming the butt joint in the photo is just for demonstration purposes and you don't intend to just butt these two pieces together? The heel or transition from headstock/scroll to neck is the area subject to the most strain, this transition needs to be done correctly. When I was designing my EUB I searched the internet looking at all the various design options, you might want to do the same to get and idea what others are doing - you don't need to reinvent the wheel
  3. Benni

Benni

Hello and many thanks for replying to my project and the time that you have taken to further my skills.
    Actually the body is a solid pc of maple and the white area that you see has actually been cut to accommodate the tuners.

Many thanks , Benni
  4. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    You might run into trouble with those tuners. An upright E-string doesn't like being wrapped around such a small radius, and the tension might be too great for the tiny gears in those slab tuners. The classic Fender style work better.
  5. Benni

Benni

Hello and many many thanks
    Could you give more info on the type of tuner model type ?
    Benni
  6. powerbass

powerbass