DIY: Effect under the pickguard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Papalampraina, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fuzz. Supporting Member

For a while I didn't know where to post this exactly, but I've chosen Effects. Anyway, here goes. :)
    A couple of weeks ago my singer/guitarist who likes DIY stuff, decided to put an EHX Double Muff Nano under a Jazz-type bass' pickguard.
    We dug almost all the area in front of the control plate, as you can see in the pics. Wired from the tone straight to the input of the pedal and from the output of the pedal to the output jack of the bass.
    We connected the battery straight to the power supply in, because if we put it normally, we would need a jack inside the pedal's input.
    Drilled holes in the pickguard and we even cut the horn, so it can be unscrewed to change the battery.
    After we finished it, we thought of what we could have done better. One would be to use a stereo jack, like active basses, instead of using a toggle-switch to cut the power.
    A second one would be to find a way to change the 9-pin footswitch with a similar toggle-switch, but we're not good with electronics so didn't know how to do that.
    The pedal sounds great. Didn't know that the Double Muff retains all the low-end.
    Here are the photos just to know that I'm not lying. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Looks like a fun project. Clearly that bass has already had a bit of modding done.

Also, your camera sucks :)

3. Papalampraina

Hey, no bad words for my trusty HTC HD2. :)
    Well, that bass is my first one, a J-copy modded to have three different pickups, instead of the typical two pup J configuration. Oh and I was lying. No tone in there, just V/V/V.

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I would have attacked it from the back and put a plastic plate on the back. Maybe a 9v receptacle like on a Stingray?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Papalampraina

Well, that was an idea that got left out because we didn't have time to go buy one. :)

7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

the 9v on the back would be nice, but this thing is awesome. Great idea!! Fun stuff