1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DIY Electric Upright?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CodeMonkey, Feb 10, 2014.

1. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

So, I've been toying with building an electric upright for a while. I have no skills, so, being able to use a bow isn't important to me (for now) :)

I do have a spare, crappy six string that I could abuse for it. (I'm currently torn between making the six string just a fretless, or trying to mod it into an upright.)

So, what do you guys think? Cut the "wings" off of the six, pull and fill the frets, and mount it to an endpole?

Thoughts?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Why do you want to do this?

If the idea is to make something that feels a little like a real upright bass - i.e., requires somewhat the same technique for fretting and plucking - you're nowhere near being in the ball park. You'd need at the very least a much longer scale length, not to mention the fingerboard radius.

If you just want to make something that looks goofy, you'll accomplish your mission.

3. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

Very well put! Mainly it was to appease my Gear Acquisition Syndrome :)

Maybe I'll just look into making it a fretless :)

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Probably the better idea.

That would at least help you develop your ears for playing a fretless instrument, and let you get your feet a little wet before committing to a real EUB.

Some skills do transfer, but upright bass is a whole different instrument, really only distantly related to electric bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

Thanks -- really appreciate the feedback!