DIY practice bass from extra neck..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    I have an extra bass neck and have thought about the smallest practice bass I could make out of it.

One option is to work up a nice piece of wood, about the width of the neck, add a simple bridge and some simple finish on it... no electronics... and call it a day.

Adding a pickup, jack and volume wouldn't add much cost and would allow me to plug in if I wanted.

Can anyone think of a way to make the thing collapsible for travel? It's an old Ibanez Roadster 24 fret neck with the giant old headstock. I'm not going to cut it down.... The three options i can think of are

1) mount a hinge that can easily be released/locked... the "body" would fold UP towards the fingerboard

2) some sort of rotating pivot that might be abe to be locked with some sort of pin that I'd insert through the body/neck to hold it in place.

3) some sort of tool less quick release that would make the neck/body easy to release and separate for travel.

4) some sort of sliding joint where the string tension would keep the body/neck together.

I realize none of these will offer good sustain or a good bass. This isn't to gig with.. it's to be able to take something on a buisness trip and noodle around with at the hotel etc. I want a tool-less way to separate the body/neck or pivot/hinge the two parts.

If anyone has any ideas on specific hardware that you think might work, I'd be grateful. I've come up dry so far.

thanks

2. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Unless I am misunderstanding you would need to go the opposite way, have it hinge so the BACK of the body folds up toward the back of the neck. That way when you're playing the string tension is working with you holding it open instead of against you trying to fold it closed. In either case I would think it would be difficult to keep a homemade hinge-neck in tune tho.

3. lz4005

lz4005

#1 - Totally possible. Michael Anthony of Van Halen had a headless bass where the neck was held on by the break action hinge and release from a shotgun.

#4 - You should look at Veillette Basses' tail pieces. Some of them are held on with string tension. I don't know if you'd be able to convert an existing neck into that sort of thing. It's basically a very deep dovetail joint. But it would probably work if you made it deep and precise enough.