1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DIY Super Lite bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tinchobass, Apr 13, 2014.

1. tinchobass

tinchobass

Hi,

I´m from Argentina and here we don´t have many options to choose, regarding customs problems, economics issues and those stuff.
    So, I´m looking forward to build my own lite bass cabinets to pair with my GK MB200 lite class D head.

I simulated a number of speakers within WinISD, and it seems I´ve found the ones that should do the job pretty well.

The cyan plot...

[​IMG]

The yellow one looks interesting too because of the higher DBs between 50 and 250Hz... but that maybe will end in unbalanced and annoying volume differences between notes while playing.

If someone can tell me about how accurate WinISD simulations are, and if my thoughts are in the right direction, I will appreciate a lot.

Thanks a lot.
    Martin.

2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

They are fairly accurate, but calculation and simulation won't tell you how the cab will sound in reality. Keep in mind you're also only seeing low-end, and anything above a few hundred hz is omitted from the simulation.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You can eq down too much low end response and save power for higher frequencies. There isn't any such thing as being too efficient on lows.

You must use a proper bass speaker, not a sub, if you want full bass sound from single driver.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The Selenium looks the best, most efficient and even, but you should try using the gain plot instead of the spl plot with 140 watts applied. That will be more realistic with the amp you're using.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I like the yellow one. It would have low mid "punch" that puts some booty into your tone when playing in the mix. It's a boost right in the bass guitar's normal frequency range.

7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Don't forget psychoacoustics. Something that looks good on a graph may not sound good.
    Perceived volume vs metered db for example. NotaBene: I'm no expert on the topic.

8. tinchobass

tinchobass

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Next week I´ll start with the cabs construction. I´ll show you how it looks and how it sounds.

Now I´m wondering what suites better for a full range box... driver or tweeter? I tend to think a driver and a crossover @ 2000Hz will do the job pretty good.

Regards.
    Martin.

9. M0ses

M0ses

That cyan graph goes exceptionally low. Lower than it needs to, IMO. What speaker is that? And how many are there? 84 liters is not a particularly small cab, which contradicts "super lite."

I'd highly recommend upgrading to the Pro version of WinISD, it gives you a lot more information.