1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DIY very small cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PDGood, Sep 5, 2011.

1. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Now that amps are so small in size, I'd like to have a small cabinet that would be easy to haul for get togethers with an acoustic guitarist (or several acoustic players).

I'm looking for an inexpensive purchase or build and thinking 1-10" would probably still have some low lows and be very portable. But I am open to other options.

I have a Markbass LMlll which I know is way more powerful than needed, and too much for some speakers, but if I play at a low volume would that be an issue?

Someone posted a ready made, very inexpensive small cabinet on here but I have searched and haven't been able to find it. Something like that might work. I'm open to suggestions.

I already have a 1-15 w/horn and a 2-10, so I'm definitely wanting to go smaller.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

3. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

That's it!! Thanks!

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Your amp power is a non-issue, just keep the volume in check.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Will do. Thanks.

7. crazytooguy

crazytooguy

If you want something pretty hi-fi, I came up with this cabinet design, using the ubiquitous B102 10" driver. The mid is a Beyma 5", more compact than the 6" drivers popular for bass cabs. I have no idea how it sounds - haven't quite finished the cabinet yet. But, it should sound OK. The cabinet has enough volume to have a decent low end, even for a fiver.

Attached Files:

8. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Thanks, looks interesting. Of course, how it sounds is very important. I've seen those Phil Jones cabs with 5" speakers and wondered how that could possibly do the job. (Not that I'm looking in that price range). There oughta be a way to hear comparisons of small cabinets online. I sure haven't seen any of those around here that I could check out in person.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

There is a markbass 4x8 cab thats tiny try that...

10. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Thanks, but it doesn't fit either the size or price criteria.

11. anonymous1015111

anonymous1015111 Guest

I have been using an old SWR workingman 1x10T extension cab for years. It is a great little cab for small gigs. Sure you could find one used without much trouble.
    -P

12. LGT

LGT

Have you looked at the audiokinesis thunderchild? I've never tried one, but they're supposed to have pretty flat response and are really compact.

EDIT: not sure about the price however.

13. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Nice size! I see two of those used on Craig's list in other cities for around a hundred bucks. What did they cost new?

14. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

15. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head on both accounts. It is THE perfect small speaker cab - except for the price. (Around $800). And I'm sure it's worth every penny, I'm just looking for something inexpensive that I can haul home at Christmas time to play along with other family members that play acoustic guitar and hammer dulcimer. Push come to shove, I can haul a 1-15, I just remembered that 1-10 that Geoff mentioned and thought it'd be worth a hundred bucks to have something super small for those occasions.
    I would love to hear the Thunderchild though. If they have nice gear like that in Nashville, I haven't found it yet. Probably need to make a trip to Atlanta.

P.S. I wonder how the SWR would compare to the DIY one that Geoff suggested.

16. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

Genz Benz do a nice 1x10 and even nicer 1x12 that are very light and compact.

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

At $490 for a 1x10 I think I'd rather go DIY.

18. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Yeah, it's looking like DIY or used SWR. Both around $125.

19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You can get an alpha 10 for around $50. Put it in enough box to reach 80 hz, probably around 1 cubic ft. or little more. Model it sealed as well as ported. It'll get the job done as a little cab for acoustic back porch jams. Reaches high enough you could forgo a tweeter, or string a piezo or 2 on it with an on/off switch. They're cheap too. Could probably do the whole thing for $100.

My 2 cents as far as cheap but effective for that situation.

20. vin*tone

vin*tone

21. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

They also make a 1x8, which seems to go for around the US$380 mark -- pricey, but I know it sounds pretty good with the Shuttle 3, as long as you keep a handle on the low end.