1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Django Unchained

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Anyone see it yet? I saw it last night but am still collecting my thoughts on the movie. Anyone else want to voice their opinion on it :)
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I was going to see it on Tuesday, but by the time the old lady came over it was too late. I'll probably see it this weekend.
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

If you get any say in the matter, I'd suggest seeing it during the day to save some money. It's a good movie, but I didn't find it worth the $10 entrance fee I payed last night :bag:
  4. MatticusMania

I wanted to go on Tuesday, and will likely go on Sunday because thats the day the Edwards theater near my house is only $6 all day/night. I just have a hard time justifying the $11.50 (each) for a single viewing.
    That said, Im a bit of a Tarantino fanboy, and will most likely go into this one with rose-colored glasses on.

How would you say this movie compares to Inglourious Basterds?
  5. morewattsplease

morewattsplease

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a big tarantino fan, but from what I have seen of his I think that it was very tarantino, but also for once a story a gave a crap about.

One thing my fellow viewers were saying was "why are they showing this?" in response to the violence against slaves.
    -I'm sure that maybe a part of the violence is due to his movies having a pension for violence
    -I liked the violence against slaves for the following reason. Too many movies that discuss racism in america dumb down the situation until its palatable for everyone (The Help, for example) and as I try to think of other movies I can't think of many specific titles, but I still think that it would have been a mistake not to show that.

Also i thought the movie was badass.
  6. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I love tarantino and i really enjoyed it.
  7. nortonrider

nortonrider

I read a thing last night that Spike Lee is all upset and ranting against the film.
    He said that he hasn't seen it and has no intention to but still doesn't like it.
    I thought that was kinda strange.

I don't go to the theaters often (the last time was for X-Men)
    so I'll probably have to wait until it hits cable before I watch it.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I honestly don't think it's as good as IB. It's a good movie, and it's definitely a Tarantino movie, but it just doesn't feel as hashed out or as well planned as his other films. The story seems much more linear than any of his other films. This, of course, makes it more accessible for people who don't seem to dig his normal style of tying together multiple, seemingly independent story lines and characters together, but for me it makes the plot somewhat boring based on the expectations I have from him.

In that sense, the movie actually seems somewhat watered down to help appeal to a wider audience. Given the context and content of this movie, I'm not sure if this will work in his favor or not. In addition, I think Tarantino has managed to take this movie to an extreme that even he hasn't reached before. There were a handful of moments in the movie that were genuinely disturbing (and not in any sort of good, artistic way). There is also one glaring plot hole with the movie that just doesn't make sense to me. The movie even points it out and attempts to explain why it isn't a plot hole... but it is.
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

spoil it for me! seriously.
  10. AaronMB

AaronMB

lol...Don't read the thread!? :eyebrow:
  11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Yeah, I can't tell if he was being sarcastic or not. I also didn't think what I posted really spoiled much of anything :confused:
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The wife and saw it last night. Really good movie. Definitely geared towards a very liberal minded audience. I think the 'German' stole' the show, IMHO! Samuel Jackson's character had us laughing our arses off!! I've seen aprox. 25 movies this year and this tops my list. Yeah, over The Avengers, which was my #1 for 2012.
  13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I wasn't being sarcastic, what you said didn't spoil it. I wanna know what happened.
  14. MatticusMania

I recommend reading the wikipedia plot synopsis.
  15. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I did, I want the plot holes and details. I'll probably never watch it and haven't been able to find an in depth plot write-up.
  16. Simo98

Simo98

Now I'm going to have to avoid this thread for a month until it's released here in Australia. :D

I don't believe they still release movies at different times around the world. It's like an advertising campaign for piracy.
  17. Swipter

Swipter

I never planned on seeing it but if Spike Lee is against it I may change my mind.
  18. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

I'm a big Tarantino fan.

Django is excellent. It succeeds in appropriately tipping it's hat to genre cinema like Spaghetti Westerns and other "exploitation" cinema, all the while retaining a sensibility that is distinctly Tarantino... so essentially, it is a textbook Tarantino movie. Perfectly crass, violent and entertaining. Christoph Waltz steals the show.

I was a little disappointed with Inglorious Basterds (I felt it wasn't as good as the sum of it's parts and only really enjoyed a couple of scenes and characters), but this is a true return to form for Tarantino. Do yourself a favour and go see it.
  19. MatticusMania

Well, as a big Tarantino fan, I was already going to see it, but thank you for your post. It almost reads as if it was written just for me. I felt exactly the same about Inglorious Basterds, which is why I raised the comparison question earlier.

Your post makes me feel as if I'll enjoy Django every bit as much as I hope to.
  20. electracoyote

electracoyote

Well, I hate to let an actor's public personality ruin an otherwise good movie, but Jamie Foxx is not my cup of tea. Loved him in Ray, but little else. And he's already bad-mouthing DeCaprio.

But I like most of the Tarantino stuff. So, maybe I'll wait for Netflix.