Djent Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lietomyface, Dec 12, 2012.

1. lietomyface

lietomyface

I tought about changing my pickups for my Fernandes Atlas 5 string to give my bass a more djent sound for the band i just got in. We are playing in Drop G.

The pickups are Musicman style : http://www.fernandesguitars.com/atlas/atlas-5-x.html

wich brand of bass pickups are the best for djent music or simply very low tuning ?

2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

AxeFX are the key to Djent

3. lietomyface

lietomyface

Well i know that pedals or bass Effect Processor will be the component to get me the sound i want. Still i want to know what pickups is the best choice for very low tuning as drop G, always in the musicman shape pickups

4. FlemptonBass

FlemptonBass

I play in a similar type of band and all you really need (in my opinion) is a SansAmp Bass Driver DI. The different tones you can get out of it are immense. As far as a pickup, I'm not entirely sure than any one pickup is made for compensating for lower tunings. But then again, I don't really know much on that matter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

What is djent music? I always want to learn something new.

7. lietomyface

lietomyface

here 2 links that explains well :)

8. Veldar

Veldar

Djent also known as djent metal, is a heavy metal movement that developed as a spinoff of progressive metal. The word "djent" is an onomatopoeia for the distinctive high-gain, distorted palm-muted guitar sound employed by Meshuggah, coined by their lead guitarist, Fredrik Thordendal. Typically, the word is used to refer to music that makes use of this sound, to the sound itself, or to the scene that revolves around it.

Bands like periphery, chimp spanner, tesseract and animals as leaders.

Back on topic do you want to push the mids like meshuggah's bassist did or go get lost under the mix trying to push bass like all of the other djent bassists?

9. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

Guess you've never listened to I Am Abomination? His bass tone is killer. And Nolly for Periphery has a sick tone too. No "lost" is the mix going on there. Pretty sure they run AxeFX and Darkglass B3K's. no need for a certain pickup

10. Veldar

Veldar

Nope but I'll give them a listen though and nolly never cuts through except in erised.

11. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Unfortunately the best pickup and preamp for that style and type of music isn't available outside of the instrument they come in, the Music Man Bongo.

12. awamori

awamori

To answer your question on what pickups suit low tunings.

The EMG MM5 are great if on a budget though it won't fit the the current cavity of your instrument without slight modification.(Though don't quote me on that.)

Your second choice is the Delano MC5 FE which is may take a couple of months for delivery if you're in the states. It also likes to paired with an onboard preamp IMO.

13. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

So people really call it "Djent"? :bag:

I'll stick to calling Animals as Leaders and Periphery Prog/Math/Not Djent Metal. :smug:

14. Veldar

Veldar

All the bands call them selves prog now that djent has stuck as a name

15. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

pups wouldn't matter too much that low IMO unless you were playing something like a dingwall and were actually getting a full tone that low. tuning down to G is tough to get much more than a burb and clack even with wicked heavey gauges the action jacked up sky high. i would look more at the signal after the bass in that situation. Sonic maximizer maybe and a rig with enough power to push 15's /18's?

16. tdub0199

tdub0199

Djent=Progressive Polyrhythmic Math Metal

17. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Active pickups like the EMG MMs will do well for that kind of low tuning. Are there any specific issues you face with your current pickup? Setting up the bass the right way for that kind of tuning will help as well.

- Jimmy Rage

18. Herrick

Herrick

I'm somewhat familiar with Djent (not really) & I know those Barenuckle guitar pickups are recommended, but what is the Djent bass sound? I've heard some Periphery but I don't hear much bass. Kinda like most Metal.

19. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

That's kind of the unknown imo. Imo. Spector still kills in the tone depot. But the lower you go things change. Even at 35" scale with custom gauges things get floppy and "tone" basically becomes boom n click with any bass.

Some guys kill the highs to get rid of the clack but then things get muddy imo. Other guys just throw distortion on it and treat it like a guitar which works as well. The only extended scale basses that produce a good fundamental tone that low that I know of are Dingwall (37" in the B) and some of Carl Thompsons basses at 37 and 38" scale.

A 4 string 37" scale bass would be really cool for the djent thing. With some heavy gauges you could actually get some mean tone going . A pre / power amp rig would be necessary to drive the lows cleanly , but Damn it would be cool!

20. winegamd

winegamd

Dan Briggs with BTBAM uses a 5 string Spector tuned ADGCF. If you listen to Paralax II he is very present in the mix with plenty of punch and growl. He uses pretty standard guages, too, with a .135 B. He plays through a Sunn/Fender 300T and an ampeg 8x10. Not "Djent" but definitely technical with a crazy mix to cut through.

If your strings are floppy tuned down you need a heavier guage, but I have played ADGCF with a .130 B and 34" scale without "flop" or "clack". It has more to do with left and right hand technique than hardware. Fret softer and dont attack as hard. That will prevent the clack. The boom is from poor EQ. With the lower tuning you already have more low end content and dont need to boost the lows. Also, most metal bassists scoop the mids making the boom and clack much worse.

21. lietomyface

lietomyface

I found what i needed! I sent an email to Johan Lundgren and he will do me a pickup the kind i want and i told him i was going to drop G so he will make the pickup tad brighter than normally to handle this. Can't wait to receive it!