DLR talks about Michael Anthony

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Eddie Van Halen has talked a lot of smack about Michael Anthony so it's very cool to read what David Lee Roth said in Rolling Stone:

Clearly, vocals are every bit as much a component of success as a rhythm section or a guitar solo, and there's an old expression saying, "They don't go home singing the lighting show, they don't go home singing the production." You're right, they sing my words and my melodies. And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that's intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion, and I would always look forward to writing a whole variety of material.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...vents-about-van-halens-future-20130212?page=2
  2. hover

hover

Proof that Eddie and Alex being conniving, controlling little one trick pony- *****es, and Dave is the class act, regardless of his current on-stage shtick being a little cheesy and vaudeville.
  3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I dunnoh if I'd go as far as to say they're one trick ponies. I love Eddie and Alex as musicians.
  4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I always thought Mike's vocals were a huge part of their sound.
  5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Dave is an entertainer. He does that with his "shtick". With the possible exception of the VH Brothers everyone whose worked with Michael seems to give him high marks.

Making someone else look good is our job. It's not always the most appreciated job in the world but still necessary.

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Hopefully Michael Anthony invested enough of his VH earnings to not have to work with any of his former bandmates again.
  7. BawanaRik

Allegedly he has a solid 8 figure net worth. As far as ever having to work with the VH boys again I doubt if money will be the deciding factor.

The treatment he received at their hands, such as scratching up his basses and being left "out" of the mix and a general lack of respect make a reunion less likely than it might have been.

8. woodyng

woodyng

The treatment he received at their hands, such as scratching up his basses and being left "out" of the mix and a general lack of respect make a reunion less likely than it might have been.[/QUOTE]

I just read the Vintage Guitar article,where Michael said EVH took a screwdriver to a brand new bass Yamaha gave him,because it looked "too nice". I lost a LOT of respect for EVH with that revelation.
    Thank goodness he didn't try that with one of his vintage 4005's!:eek:
  9. BawanaRik

I have to second that. I've played with enough "Rock Stars Wannabes " IE "Legends in their own minds" types to believe that happened.

Eddie got a lot of help from a lot of people on the way up. And there are people who can play rings around him. And most of them kept their feet on the ground.

I just read the Vintage Guitar article,where Michael said EVH took a screwdriver to a brand new bass Yamaha gave him,because it looked "too nice". I lost a LOT of respect for EVH with that revelation.
    Thank goodness he didn't try that with one of his vintage 4005's!:eek:[/QUOTE]
  10. eriky4003

eriky4003

From what I've read, the band split the writing royalties four ways even though Eddie came up with most of the riffs. When the boys went out on tour with Sammy (2004?), the management had Michael sign away some(?) or all of the back royalties as a condition to tour. Nasty. I'm just hoping MA didn't get totally screwed out of everything going forward. His playing and singing definitely added to the band's sound.
  11. Mike M.

Mike M.

From reading the article it sure sounds like Roth.....and even Alex would love to record and tour with Michael again. I still don't understand what happened. There was a time early on when Eddie had nothing but praise for MA and was very quick to defend him if anybody said anything bad about his playing. Can't remember where, but in one interview I read (somewhere around VH II) the interviewer said something that slighted MA a bit and Eddie told him "knock it off! If you're gonna bad-mouth my family then this interview is over!" The guy apologized and the interview continued.
  12. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

If you read the interview you'll see that Eddie is the one that is the issue. Alex and DLR were working on doing dance remixes of VH songs. Eddie is the one who is showing no interest in touring, writing new material, etc.

EDIT: was typing as MikeM replied as well.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eddie considered it a sign of disloyalty that Mikey went out on tour with Sammy Hagar after Sammy got canned from Van Halen. I don't know that he's entirely wrong, either. I might consider it a bit of a slap in the face, too. But Mikey seems quite happy with Chickenfoot, and Eddie's quite happy with Wolfie and Wolfie's doing a very good job these days, so personally I've gotten way over the whole Van Halen thing.
  14. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    "Can't they all just get along?!" :crying:

(I'm kidding.)
  15. mcm

mcm

Eddie is a prick. Outta be punched in the mouth.
  16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Kenny Aronnoff is playing with Chickenfoot. You can't tell from his Mellencamp work but he's is one baaaaaad man on the drums. Like Steve Gadd bad.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Kenny Aronoff is one of the greatest rock drummers in history. I have an Aldo Nova album that he played on called "Blood On The Bricks," and there's only one good song on it but Kenny's playing is stellar on every track he's on. It was so good that Aldo saw fit to not put his picture in the album and instead went with some generic looking 80's musicians with hair.
  18. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I seem to recall reading in Musician magazine (yeah, that long ago) or somewhere BITD how he was getting triple scale on up for sessions because he was so in demand.

Sorry for the derail. Carry on.
  19. mcm

mcm

Yeah Kenny is great
  20. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

It looks like Eddie Van Halen is all about family. Everyone else is considered a sideman, whether you've been with the band for 6 months or 20 years.

Leads to a lot of hurt and fighting, but I think it makes sense in Eddie's head.

It was always him and Alex, and now that Wolfgang is in the band, the three of them. Everyone else is a sideman.