Dlugolecki G String

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Matt Weiner, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Sometime in the middle of the night my Dlugolecki G gut String snapped after:

Just under 4 years
    2 basses
    1 RN bass that came apart and together approximately 10 times with the string on it.
    650+gigs (sometimes it was on a bass that stayed at home. I tried not to count those gigs)
    bowing,pizz, slapping

Gig for gig, hour for hour, cheapest string I ever bought.
  2. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

I'm on year 3+. so what you're telling me is I should replace it soon...

what are you going to replace yours with? I'm feeling fidgety and am thinking about Gamut Lyon...
  3. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

I'm sticking with Dlugolecki. He's nice. Local (for me, sort of). Beautiful strings with deep tone.

I was mostly trying to point out how durable these guts are. If you love the sound, and take care of them, they are a great investment.

One more thing, to those of you who wear out your guts (even quality guts) real fast: Did a luthier size the notches on your bridge and nut to your gut strings? That to me, has been the key to making these things go the distance. Too many folks (including me, a long time ago) just throwing the guts strings on after their spiro weichs, and then wondering why they are fraying in 2 weeks.
  4. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Sorry for your loss.
  5. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Thanks. This is going to be hard to stomach.
  6. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

A little GUT humor? ;)

Joe
  7. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

I actually think the RN bass hastened the end of the string. On one trip, due to careless packing, a crimp developed in the string. It seemed to disappear after that, and lasted several months longer. However, when the string broke, it broke where that crimp was.
  8. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

Had you talked with Damian about using his strings on a RN bass? I am certainly curious about what his opinion is regarding gut strings and RN basses.
  9. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

I cannot speak for Damian, but have had many conversations with him about the myths and realities about what is good and bad for gut strings. He's always honest about it.

You should ask him.

I don't think any string is meant to be constantly loosened and then brought up to tension. Even steel. Steel can just handle it better.

If I hadn't carelessly packed the string (in a hurry, early morning, Stockholm) I don't think I would have created that crimp.

More to the point, in my experience, quality guts will give you years of life, if you are good to them.

Even more to the point, these Dlugos sound so good! It's worth the expense and risk for me.
  10. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

sorry to sound stupid: what's an RN bass?
  11. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Removable Neck.
  12. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Hey Matt,
    Did you convert the Cleveland? If so, who did it?
    -Jeff
  13. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

No, I did not convert the cleveland. In the end, I sold my first one and bought a new one from Wil and Arnold with an RN. It could have been cheaper, but ended up being a wash financially. Nice new RN by Arnold is cool, though.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I'd love to hear from some other Dlugolecki users, and folks who use guts with RN or folding basses.
  14. Brian K

Brian K

I too, would like to know if there are others out there using gut on a removable neck bass.

I've got a La Scala bass that was made RN by Bill Merchant. I love it, and had been loving Evah Pirazzi strings, until I realized after 2 or 4 flights, the strings were totally dead. I've gone back to Spiros, but have been thinking about guts...

Do the guts require time to regain what pitch stability they have after being loosened or tightened like steel and perlon strings do?
  15. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

I've found that the Dlugo G and D, if cared for properly, do fine on an RN bass (cleveland ply). I try to get the bass back together the night before the gig, but have had to do it on a few hours notice it. You just have to take the time to play the strings and make sure they settle in. And be careful when packing them up.

As easy as steel? No.
    If you want that sound, is it worth it? Yes.

I have to add this again: I think properly carved nuts and tailpieces (fitted for your string) are ESSENTIAL. I found this through trial and (lots of) error.
  16. JeffKissell

I'm glad to hear this. Most likely my Cleveland will end up an RN and I'd love to keep using gut strings on it.

My Dlugolecki D & G are about 5 yrs old and have been on my bass for about 95% of that time (I keep flirting with synthetics and steels but my ears hear gut and my hands are happiest playing it). I've just ordered Chorda E & A to replace the wound Efranos so we'll see how that goes.

Matt, what E & A are you using on the RN?

-Jeff
  17. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

I've never had luck with Es and As. I had NiAgs from Dlugolecki and the sound and feel was incredible. I loved them, but the Seattle weather and travel was not good for them.

I used some old Velvets, and then I ended up with Dominants. I've been stuck with the Dominants for a few years. I don't love them, but once they were worked in they sounded just fine.

I've broken one Dominant E: in Pasadena retightening the string on my FIRST trip with the RN.

I played TBer Nathan Parker's bass, and like the sound and feel of his Chordas, maybe I'll try that sometime.

I have my doubts that the wrapped guts can handle the RN bass grind. But, I don't really know.
  18. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

And, Jeff, please report on your Chorda experience.

Matt
  19. JeffKissell

I will...

For me it's a trade off between arco and slap. The wound gut strings have such a great slap sound and I'm just starting to scratch the surface (pun intended) of getting a consistent sound with the bow on gut. I heard a Vienese tuned bass at ISB in SF with round wound gut strings played arco and it was absolutely beautiful so I know it's possible.

The closest I've come to a gut sound with synthetics that will bow are Evah Pirazzi medium (regular). They sound great but the tension is way too high for me to get a good slap sound with my current string height. I would imagine they're pretty similar to the Dominants.

-Jeff
  20. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Hi Jeff,

if you want something similar to Evah Pirazzi but with less tension try Innovation 140B (Braided). The lower strings may need some playing until they open up. Much closer to a typical gut tension than Evahs.
    If you order them in the UK they are rather cheap, you only have to wait a bit longer and pay customs and VAT.