1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DNA bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dfinnegan71, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

I was in the local shop today and played thru a 12" DNA cab and was really shocked at what I heard. Any of you guys using DNA cabs, and what are your thioughts?

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I have been rocking the DNA 210’s for nearly two years and have nothing, but praise for them. They are loud, possess great tone, wonderful midrange response, nice clarity, great low end response and can get plenty loud when you need them too. My 210 handles small stages with NO issues. On bigger stages, I use both 210’s stacked vertically (that is usually too much) and I do not miss my Mesa Powerhouse 410’s at all. I feel one of these 210’s does even better than one Mesa 410. Probably because the DNA has more midrange and seems much louder than the Mesa. I don’t feel the DNA cabs are anything like the EDEN 410XLT (same guy designed these cabs). The Eden 410xlt has a big mid hump, and the DNA’s seem to get rid of that while letting more of the original tone come through. Growl, pristine clean, low mid punch, heavy lows, this cab is the first in a while which I feel can do a large variety of tones. The Mesa 410 Powerhouse was 2nd on my list.

There will be people on here that will complain about the specifications for the cabs are WAY OFF. I can not confirm or argue against this. I don’t have the resources to do so. However, I can crank that little 210 to insane levels and CONSTANTLY have to turn it down at many of the shows I play. Even with a 5 string… I use midrange in my tone, but rarely boost it since the cab is letting a bunch of through right away. These cabs kick butt and I do not think you will be unhappy if you buy one or two or three :bassist:

Downside – no interlocking corners when stacking vertically. I use a piece of carpet between my cabs when necessary.

3. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

I have a DNS-112N/Micro that I wish I could use more often. I absolutely love this little guy. Unfortunately, my drummer is way too loud and that poor little cab just can't keep up with him volume-wise.. That and I'm 6'4" and I can't really hear the bass all that well up here so I'm "stuck" using my Eden cabs 99% of the time (D810RP and D215XL.)

4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

By shocked I'm assuming in a positive way, correct?

I use an Eden D410XLT in my basement, where I don't have to move it and love it. The DNA are getting press as being better. That would be impressive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

Yes yes yes, shocked in a good way. I thought I plugged the head into a 410 by mistake at the shop and had to do a double take. Than I thought, it must be this head and this bass, no 112 cab sounds like this. I gig regularly with an Ampeg 212 portabass cab. This 112 was, well, way better. I just know nothing about these cabs, never even heard of them before today.

7. Gearhead17

Shocked in a good way. The Eden 410XLT had great ability to project your bass tone well on a stage. The DNA 210's projection is pretty darn good, but I think the Eden 410XLT wins in that area. However, the tone of the DNA is just fuller and more defined without the cab doing a large junk of the coloring.

I always tilt my 210 with a 2x4, helps a whole lot to do that.

8. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

So a guy in the local music store bought a DNA 410. He told me the store let him demo the 112 at a gig and he was blown away with how good it was. I wonder, would a 112 be enough without PA support? I bet 2 12's would dothe trick. But at $799 each, that's a lot of cheddah.

9. Gearhead17

The 12 was darn good when I heard it, but how big of a room are we talking about? What kind of music? My default logic says get 2 12's minimum. The DNA 410 is nuts though and would probably do the trick in a heartbeat. It's money well spent though.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

As usual, the answer is: "it depends" - on the usual factors, i.e. size & acoustics of the room, volume of the band, etc. I will say this: I have never encountered any 1x12 cab that could hold its own - by itself - in any ensemble louder than a lounge band. Therefore I don't think in terms of 'how little cab can I get away with?'. I think in terms of 'how much/many cab(s) do I realistically need? :eyebrow:

Granted. But how much less would you realistically expect to pay for a cab that can blow you away with how good it is?

MM

11. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

They really ought to make a 212 to round out their offerings.

12. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

I guess I should know that by now. Truth is I have no idea what kind of band he's in or where he giged. He didn't look like a head banger or a punk rocker, that's for sure.

13. devilman666

devilman666

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1359860293.411211.jpg

Love my two dna 4x10. I punish these cabs beyond what is reasonable and they don't flinch at all. Tone is def les mid bump than xlts and the power handling is no joke.

14. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

I just picked up a used, but in mint condition, 115N yesterday, incl cover. Gigged with it last night. Wasn't really looking for a 15 (to pair with a 210), but compared to the other used cabs I've been trying out lately, as soon as I played through it I knew it would be the one I walked out with. I went through a few more go-rounds with other cabs just to be sure, but I kept coming back to the DNA.

Good thing it weighs only 42 lbs. I'm not really that crazy about the handle placement. With my bad back, I prefer to get "underneath" cabs of this size when I'm carrying them, where I can get the bottom edge of the cab at waist/hip height. Hard to do with the handles placed so high. But I'll manage. Should probably invest in a hand truck.

15. ajwolfcale

ajwolfcale

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, alleva coppolo
    How do you like the 15? I really been wanting to hear that. I've played all of the others and imagine its just as incredible. There are two things that I've ever regretted getting rid of one being my berg NV215 and the other, my DNA 410. Greatest cab I have ever owned.

16. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I managed quite a few loud gigs with a Euphonic Audio iAmp800 combo. 1 coaxial 12. I got a lot of funny looks from sound techs before I fired the thing up and they were invariably impressed. It did sound a little more effortless with an extension cabinet, but it never blew up and always sounded fine.

However, I'm enjoying life much more in fEARful land these days.

17. maritimer

maritimer

I run 2 x 112's and haven't looked back. Does everything I need and is a lightweight rig to cart around...

Small gigs, 1 x 112 is more than enough. 2 are always more fun though :)

[​IMG]

18. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

This!

19. Bruce Elkington

Bruce Elkington

I've been using the DNA 4x10 for a year or two. Before that, I was a Bag End guy for nearly 20 years. My signal chain is Alembic F1-x, Stewart 2.1, and DNA 4x10. I use a '78 precision with Lindy Fralin pickups and a Modulus 5 string I've had since '93. The cabinet is excellent. The low B is firm, not sloppy. I am perfectly happy with it. I like that the tweeter attenuator is on the front. I like that it isn't flashy looking. I like that it isn't something that everyone uses. Most of all, I'm extremely pleased with how it sounds. I bridge the power amp into a 4 ohm cabinet. That means 2100 watts. No problems.

20. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

I liked the 115N enough where I ended up flipping the SWR 210 cab I'd paired it with for a 2nd 115N! Paired up (or individually), there is a nice full range to the tone. It's not all just low end.

Still don't like the handle placement, as they seem to carry "heavier" than their spec, but at 54 y.o. I should start using a hand truck anyway.

21. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

[​IMG]

I just love them. I use them for many years now and I am happy. Of specs? I don't care if so! They don't give me ****, just awesome sounding and very loud tone if needed.