1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DNA cab or Aguilar cab or both?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tmc2300, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tmc2300

tmc2300

I recently checked out the DNA DNS 112 micro and the Aguilar DB112 at Bass Club Chicago (very cool place!). I was able to A/B test these with a Tone Hammer 500. The DNA cab handles the low B wonderfully. It's clear and punchy, but the mids and highs sound a tad brittle to me. The Aguilar DB112 sounds great in the mids and highs but thick and muddy on the low B. So do I get both? This might be a nice frankenrig or not. I didn't try them together. Wish I did. Has anyone tried this combination of cabs?

2. KJung

KJung

I wouldn't suggest mixing those very different cabs. Also, a 'thick' low B in a music store often translates to a punchy, articulate, balanced low B on the gig:smug:

IMO the DB112 is MADE for the TH500. Aguilar all the way in this case, ESPECIALLY is you use a more traditionally voiced instrument like a P or J type.

That being said, pick the one you like, and then get a second if you need more volume. The low end will open up do to the coupling nicely.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Decide on which cab you like the best, then get two. I do not recommend you mixing different cabs.

4. tmc2300

tmc2300

A punchy, articulate, balanced low B is what I'm after. I don't want mud. I currently play through a 4x10 ampeg pro cab. It's a great cab, but won't fit into my car, hence the quest for some smaller cabs. I'm also after a little more low end since I've been doing more low B stuff lately.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If you can make the drive up to Wilmette you should see about visiting Mike Arnopol. He should have a number of cabs that make the two you tried look like toys.

7. KJung

KJung

Nah, that DB112 is stunning sounding. Yes, other cabs will have more low end:p

8. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah. No kidding.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

A pair of DB112's would make for an awesome little rig, *almost* as loud as your 410. Low end does increase when you put 2 cabs together, and matched cabs always pair best. The DB112 comes with or without a tweeter. One with, one without would make a great pair.

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

I have a pair of DB12's and when Im away from them with another cabinet I always return as they are something special. I know many say they articulate the mids, but they have an excellent low end.

11. SJan3

SJan3

12. SJan3

SJan3

This..

Attached Files:

13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    David Nordschows cabs are awesome, you will not find a clearer cab made today.

14. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Keep in mind the Aguilar DBs are a rear ported cabinet, so the low end might vary by where it's placed in relation to a wall or corner. I had a DB410 that I hated when I first got it home, until I moved it away from the wall. Now I use the GS212 or one or two GS112s. The GS cabs are front ported, similar to the DNAs. I like their low end sound more than the DBs.

15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    You should take a drive up to GR february 22-23. There is a music swap meet and several greenboy cabs will be there. IMHO they are some of the clearest bass cabs made.

16. KJung

KJung

FYI, the port location would not have the impact that you are describing. It really doesn't matter. However, moving any cab away from the wall will typically result in less low end, regardless of port location.

The GS's are very differently voiced, and that is not due to the front porting.

17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry Ken gotta disagree. If a rear ported cab is butted right up against the wall it will negativity effect the lows.

18. KJung

KJung

That is a different issue. Yes, if you literally block the port (just like a front ported cab), bad things happen. However, as long as you have the port a few inches from the wall, all is good. Port location doesn't matter, and given that most cabs have the speaker cable input on the back of the cab that sticks out, it is pretty hard to block a port against a wall.

However, you are correct, if you somehow get the rear port blocked (or a front port), that is not good. Moving a rear ported cab 2 feet from the back wall will have virtually the same impact as moving a front ported cab 2 feet from the wall:D

19. KJung

KJung

+1 They are the real deal. Full, usable low end and just an amazingly warm, present midrange. Nice organic top end. Among my favorite cabs period, and two of them stacked will handle almost any gig.

The DB112 stack was always the 'winner' at all the GTG's we had back a few years ago. Perfect cabs for those with traditionally voiced instruments like J and P basses IMO.

A bit heavy and cumbersome to move IMO, but totally killer.

20. KJung

KJung

That makes no sense, sorry. Port location would not have that impact.

I'm not saying you didn't hear what you heard, but it had NOTHING to do with the port location... impossible.

21. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

In that case, why is my GS212 (or my GS112s) butted right up against a wall with none of the low end distortion that I got from the DBs?