1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DNA vs Eden

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Art Araya, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I'm looking for comparisons between DNA cabs vs Eden cabs. In particular the 210 models. I'm sure they share much in common but DNA has probably gone in some new directions.

Anyone have experience with both?
  2. Art Araya

3. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I play through an Eden 410XLT (and I love it), but I have never tried out DNA.
  4. jon36992002

jon36992002

I also play an Eden 410XLT, and am quite taken with it. Out of any 4x10 I have played, it does the best job of rounding out my low end. I can't use any other 4x10 I've tried with my 5 string. It sometimes takes a bit of EQ to bring up my mids to a suitable level.
  5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The DNA 210 is a beast. Solid low end, good low mid presence, good midrange presence, Great upper mid detail and good high end. Compared to the 410XLT, big differences.

The 410XLT:
    Loud and projected bass tone farther than most 410's.
    A very growly and edgy midrange 300hz through 800hz which accounted for a very cutting bass tone.
    Solid low end, but never super low.
    Good upper mid growl, but the tweeter did not have much high end coming out.

In summary, the 410XLT was a very "colored" cabinet and you got a unique tone out of it. The DNA 210 (that I own) is much closer to representing the rig you are running through it. it's cleaner overall and does not have the growly midrange content. It has a much better low end response though, and is clearer in the highs.

I used to use the 410XLT with an Ampeg SVT 4 PRO and a few other heads. With an Eden head, the 410XLT sounds much better - more low end, punchier in the mids, and sweeter sounding highs.

The DNA 210 is loud - it will cut through the mix. You really can't go wrong with it.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've owned most Eden XLT cabs and have played most of the DNA cabs. There is definitely a familial relationship in tone, but I think the DNA has a bit more "oomph'. Sorry I can be more specific, but it's been a while since I played either. That's just what I recall from playing the DNA cabs. They're great cabs if you can find them.
  7. Art Araya

Thanks guys - that was the kind of input I needed. I've got a DNA 210 coming to me. I was hoping that it would be similar to the Eden. It sounds like it may be different but still good.

Hmmm... I like the growly midrange content of the Eden.
  8. Gearhead17

If your bass growls or you add in some sort of pedal to achieve this, the speaker will put out that tone. For sure though, definitely more oomph from the DNA cab compared to the 410XLT. The DNA cab is not going to muddy your tone up.
  9. Art Araya

I think I may be OK then - both my bass and my head have some good mid-range bite going on!
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you'll be more than OK.
  11. Art Araya

Just received the DNS-210 and spent about 15 minutes with it. Initial impressions...

It's light for a 210. MUCH lighter than the old Eden 210 I used for a brief while.

It's solid and well-built

The tweeter adjustment on the front is weird for me. I'm basically a set it and forget it guy when it comes to the tweeter. It's not something I change from place to place or song to song.

It definitely does not sound like an Eden. I would not know that the two were related in any way. The Eden colors your tone with a prominent mid-growl and has less oomph. The DNA seems to be almost colorless - what you put in is what you get out but with some heft behind it. Honestly, I'm not sure if I like that or not.

For a 210 it has PLENTY of power and oomph to it. I can't imagine any gig I play that this would not be enough volume or bottom. Maybe some massive outdoor gig with no PA support???

I won't be able to give it a full run thru until Friday night - we have a pre-event run thru and then the event. I'll be able to hear how it mixes with the band at that point. I use it only for stage monitoring so volume is not an issue. I'm more interested in the tone and how it sits in the mix. I'll write a follow up after a couple of real-world uses.
  12. nashman

nashman

Perhaps a better comparison would be with the Eden D210XST.
  13. Art Araya

This question was asked on the DNAAmps site about the differences between an Eden 112 and a DNA 112.

The brief response sums up what most of us are saying:

===

- What would you say is the biggest difference?

No mid bump, more power, more low end.

===

I actually like the Eden mid bump thing so I'm going to try to EQ some in.
  14. Art Araya

Got to play the DNS210 tonight to a full room. Head was an Aguilar TH500, bass was an Ella. Music called for an aggressive bright metallic pick attack and the setup delivered in spades. First real life test and I'm very happy the results.
  15. Art Araya

Ok. Last update. Played again with different musicians, different sound man,different tone(more round and supportive). DNA totally copped that vibe as well. I'm pretty happy right now. Its been a while since ive been this pleased with a cab.
  16. Gearhead17

I am glad you liked the DNA 210! I was hoping I was not the only one out there who thought DNA 210's sounded like that. Guess I am not!

Aguilar TH500 - how did it sound with the DNA 210? I have been thinking about this combination and was concerned about the headroom factor at 8 ohms. However, I don't need a ton of low end in my tone.
  17. Paul M

Paul M

DNA vs Eden

I thought this thread was another nasty science v. creationism squabble. Whew! ;)
  18. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Hah!
  19. Art Araya

I believe mine is 4 ohms. Headroom is a total non-issue with this combination.
  20. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Art! Thanks for your posts and updates on this. I have been interested in DNA.