DNBW: Double New Bass Week...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by handofseven, Feb 9, 2014.

1. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

When it rains, it pours. When the financial planets align and the GAS is high, new bass days will ensue... Though I don't usually expect them to happen with such frequency!

May I present: my super comfortable, light as a feather, "not completely original but who cares because it sounds fantastic and plays even better" '73 Fender Jazz, and my dead sexy beast of a completely original with working Moog electronics, Gibson RD Artist.

Both acquired in the last 7 days! :eek:

Many thanks to TBer Andrew, without whose help I would not own either of these, and to whom the Jazz would belong if not for his being left handed... Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for southpaws!

Pics, or they don't exist... I know the rules. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wagz

Wagz

Wow! Congrats on the new basses.
    I love the Gibsons RDs but that Fender... wow!

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    wow to both! man...

4. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Both axes are gorgeous, that's some fine hunting and catching you've done, enjoy your spoils, Sir, congrats!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

They're both nice, but I really dig the look of that Gibson. Congrats.

7. handofseven

Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked... It's weird how things can just fall into place (with a little help from your friends)... I was able to get the Jazz on account at the L&M downtown, considering I had a 0 balance and just got finished celebrating the massive progress I'd made paying down the Mastercard... Also, it was cheap! The RD Artist I was able to pay for by selling off a bunch of items I wasn't using. It adds up quickly! GO TB classifieds!

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Damn you and your awesome basses! :D
    Those are a couple of gems, D. I hope to have luck like that soon.

9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

With my dyslexia I read this as "new double bass week" and was expecting a wicked cool Upton hybrid or some such- those slabs are cool too lol! :)

10. handofseven

Oh man, don't fire up my GAS like that! I don't even play double bass, and god help me if I find out what a wicked cool Upton hybrid is. ;)

11. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    What's the Moog electronics sound like? I'm assuming it's not a ladder filter in there, lol. And I too came here because I thought I'd be seeing a killer upright acquisition.

12. handofseven

I haven't had enough time with the bass to report on the Moog electronics, as I just received the bass on Saturday... I'll report back once I've had more one on one time with it. :bassist:

My apologies to anyone who misinterprets the thread title... I suppose I should have known better considering I've jumped into double bass threads before, having clicked before fully comprehending what I was opening... I should have known "double" would be a hot key word. :)

13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    People read what they want to read! Don't blame yourself :smug:

My old man has the same (or very similar) preamp in his '82 Firebird. It boosts a LOT of signal and the switches do some magic, too. But if you aren't careful with that high boost, you can shatter fine crystal.

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Congrats!
    That RD looks just like the one I had, loved that bass.

15. handofseven

YEP! Experienced that yesterday for the little time I had with it... Something both horrific and beautiful about that sound. Good thing there was no fine crystal around, only crushed beer cans in the recycle bin. :D

One thing I can report is that this is one of those basses that inspires rock posery! You WANT to sling it low, and you WANT to spread the legs in a savage rock stance! Of course that will invite all kinds of posture problems... Not for the weak. ;)

16. handofseven

Thanks, bro! I'm lovin' it as well. Wahoo!

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Nice, man!

Is the a Gibson a beastly 12lb-er or fairly manageable weight-wise?

Also, I have found L&M to be completely useless with being able to price vintage gear properly. Generally they price on the low side as they just want to get rid of the older stuff ASAP. My local store calls me whenever a vintage bass comes in. I have got a few pretty good deals over the years!

18. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nice J, was it originally sunburst?

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool basses. Especially the RD.

Congrats.

20. handofseven

Thanks!

I don't have a weight yet, but both people who've held it, who know anything about RDs, noted it seemed lighter than they expected... Doesn't mean it's not heavy though... and it is heavy. :D I used a Levy's strap, wide, with stretchy bit over the shoulder. It was quite comfortable, though the ergonomics of the bass will take some getting used to since I'm traditionally a Jazz/Stingray/Precision dude. :bassist:

I was pretty lucky to get the Jazz... My buddy Andrew (local TBer) happened to be at the L&M when the Jazz came in. Since he plays lefty, he messaged me right away. In turn, I messaged my buddy Jahmeel, who works in the bass dept. and asked if he would hold it for me for an hour while I got in the car to get down there... Good thing he held it for me, or it would have been sold by the time I got there... There were a couple of people hangin' out, ready to buy if I wasn't interested. It pays to have good friends, who are also bass gearheads, who are left handed... Also, to have good friends who work in the bass department. :D

21. handofseven

I don't think so, for the simple reason that some of the places where the finish is worn out on the back show what looks to be the remains of black paint through the middle, where it probably wasn't stripped quite well enough... Could be they wouldn't do a burst over a body where the wood is so obviously 2 tones, but you never know... There probably weren't any hard/fast rules at that time... Anything's possible.