Do all Warwicks have that "growl"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

So I have played a few lower end Warwicks and they all have a similar growl. My favourite is a rockbass streamer with passive soapbar pickups. My question is a two parter...

1. Do all Warwicks have that signature low "growl" to them more or less?
    2. Which German made Warwick would be available passive? And furthermore, which German Warwick would get a similar tone to the passive MEC soapbars? Doesn't have to be exactly the same but close would be good. Keeping the growl and adding a bit more definition would be ideal.

Before you say "stick with the rockbass if that's what you like" I'm just curious if I did want to step up to a better build quality which would have the tone I'm after.

Thanks!
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Only familiar with the LX-5 with active MEC J/J pickups. Both the one I have and the one I had were grindy.
  3. dedoonbass

dedoonbass Supporting Member

I had a Warwick Corvette Standard Rockbass a few years ago, and it had the trademark Warwick growl. I now own a German Warwick Streamer LX which is a totally different P/U configuration and it has that same signature Warwick sound, but obviously sounds a bit better overall.

So in short, yeah I think all Warwick's growl to some extent. They have a unique sound that is kind of all their own, which is what really drew me to them in the first place. I suggest you try out a bunch of them and see which flavor of the Warwick sound you like best.

Cheers
  4. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Don't know how close it sounds to your soapbar version, but my Fortress 95' has plenty of growl and very good B string. Realy nice bass, great feel and sound, inexpencive (for what it gives you).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

My '97 passive JJ Corvette Standard has a definite 'growl' under its generally sweet tone. It's Bubinga with full Wenge neck. Build quality is incredibly fine, too. Mid-late '90s bolt-on Warwicks are a real bargain.
  7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Having tried some cheaper Rockbasses (and owning one), I would say no. I play with a light touch, though so I generally need to set the strings rather low to get "growl".