Do ALL your Basses sound good thru your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 77 StingRayBass, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

1 amp, multiple Basses. Are you able to plug any of your Basses and get your sound? I find thru my Carvin BX500/Avatar 2-10 cab, my StingRay ALWAYS sounds right, with not a lot of EQing, BUT, I really have to tweak this and low/high mid that to get a decent sound from my Fender's. Does anyone else run into this? My StingRay thru my Metro with a basically flat eq sounded great also. Just curious.

2. dspellman

dspellman

All (both) of my basses sound good through my rig when someone other than me plays them. Friend of mine has a Variax 705 (I so want to pry it away from him) that represents some largish stack of basses, and all of the models on the Variax sound good through my rig. When he plays it.

3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I too have a BX500 & Avatar 2x10 along with a 1x15 Both Neo's. This is a great sounding Rig:hyper: I find I have to tweak the EQ between my Fenders and My Ric but the Fenders are really more Plug & play.
    When you finally dial in the Eq it's like Heaven. Tonight I got the Ric dialed in so perfectly that I took a Jpeg of it. I'm sure that My Fender P-Bass(Bullet with 70's P'up) will need some readjustment.
    The Stingray is just an amazing bass that seems to always sound great. Nothing against Fenders. I think it's a Mid Range thing.

4. Sartori

Sartori

The upright bass does not sound good through my rig, as it feeds back too much.

All the electric basses sound good through my rig, though, as they all sound somewhat similar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

My main rig is an SWR SuperRedhead w/Son of Bertha ext. cab. EVERYTHING plugged into that rig sounds great!:D

But in a word,Yes. Although I do 'level out' the EQ when playing an active bass and take care of the tone with the bass's pre..

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Easy to for me to get great sound from any electric bass I have tried or heard through my rig. It hasn't seen an upright yet.

8. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Thanks everyone for chiming in!
    It just seems no matter the amp/cab combo, my StingRay sounds great, but those Fender basses take a little more work, but sound cool also.

9. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I think it depends on your rig....some rigs just have a nack for sounding very good with just about any bass and others sound incredible with certain basses and not so much with others.

My main gigging rig falls into the first category with my PUMA 900 and fEARful 12/6/1 & 12/sub stack. Pretty much any bass sounds very good to excellent through it.

When using the same cabs but with my GB Streamliner 900, I have a few basses that sound fantastic and some that just don't quite have it.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Yes, all of my basses sound great through my rig though some need to be eq'd or volume balanced.

11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If my basses didn't sound good through my rig, I would have returned them!

13. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

I've been told that no matter what bass/amp/cab I play, I always sound like me. So I guess I have been able to dial in my sound on whatever I play. The thing is, for me, most of my tone comes from my two plucking fingers (thus the TB name..... well..... that and the taquila by the same name.... and some long stories...... anyway ).

But, yes, on my main rig (Walkabout Scout 15" with ext cab) I can get my Fender RBV and my other basses to sound like.... well..... me.

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Yep. My amp choices are made to bring out what I like about my basses, not to impart a sound on to my basses.

John

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

16. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I own three basses and have built rack preamps specifically tailored to each one. "My sound" is radically different in each case, otherwise why have multiple instruments? That said, all the basses have onboard buffering and EQ and all give workable sound through most bass rigs I plug into.

17. Inconnu

Inconnu

I mostly use active basses, so the EQ on my amp stays the same and I just tweeked the sound of each basses so that the amp's setting work for all of them. I only need to adjust the gain of the amp depending on the specific basses output level.

18. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

+1 I always seem to have one rig that sounds best (or is easiest to EQ) with one of my basses and not so much others. I don't experience as much difference when I switch out cabinets, but the bass I'm favoring at a particular time tends to draft the head that most favors that bass into service. Of course, most people out front (musicians and other bassists included) rarely perceive the differences I experience on stage. :smug:

19. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I feel like mine does...QSC Power Amp/Sans Amp RBI/Avatar B410cab/homemade 2x15 with Eminence speakers

the only thing that ever makes a difference is the age of my strings, and the fact that the EMG'S in my Charvel are hotter than the other two basses. I just have to watch the volume if I go between it and the other ones

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    All of my basses sound good through all of my rigs, and I look good playing them.

21. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff