Do Americans need more expensive basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by topo morto, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topo morto

topo morto

Was looking at this thread on a UK-based bass forum, about the age old question of 'are more expensive basses really better?'.

Interested to see the difference in opinion in that thread compared to the 'cheap vs expensive' threads on this site, where there often seems to be a majority who feel that more money gets you more performance, at least until you get to a couple of thousand dollars or so.

What gives? Are Brits just so poor that they can't bear to admit that they can't afford a decent bass? Or so talentless that they can't tell the difference? Or is it that Americans are just more easily taken in by the lure of something shiny?
  2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Need <> want.

I know I want. But lots of great music has been made with cheap.
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

A lot of it is due to how the spin on American Made products was played out across the world. Back in the day, there was a HUGE emphasis put on american products & they were touted as better than elsewhere. This helped build their brands & reputation within North America. It was less influential elsewhere.

Nowadays, that logic doesn't really apply but it has carried over. It will slowly go the way of the dodo, as more of the people who grew up in those generations pass on.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Status, WAL, Zemaitis, Burns, all cheapo instruments.
  5. topo morto

topo morto

Yeah, It's the French and the Poles who have the really high-end stuff! Of course these days they all live in the UK too though...
  6. Jbass4me

Jbass4me

Definitely a need vs want issue. I know guys that buy the cheapest axe, modify it and play the hell out of it and sounds beautiful
  7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I think a good quality, good sounding bass can be bought for US$500-600.

I saw the Rig Rundown with Ben Sheppard from Soundgarden and his main bass on the last three Soundgarden tours is a MIM Fender P.
  8. nashman

nashman

There generally are advantages to a more expensive bass. Quality of parts, electronics, fit, finish. Warranty can also be a consideration - as might resale value. There's also the "status" factor. Will you still have GAS if you buy the cheaper - but not if you buy the more expensive one? A good example is a Gibson Tbird vs an Epiphone Classic Tbird, the former being about 3 x the cost (in Canada anyway). Is the difference in cost justifiable (an individual decision)?, do you care if it says Gibson or Epiphone on the headstock?
  9. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

You can get a good quality bass for 500.00,no argument there. Some of us,like me,want better than that. USA made Fenders and Music Man for me.
  10. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

In the real world made in USA hasn't meant much since the 70's, and even less since the 90's. I have owned quality US made instruments over the years. What I do appreciate is that a person can get a quality instrument today in their price range, or make a marginal one a good one. Back in the 60's and 70's when a lot of us started playing, that wasn't the case.
    Like it or not, we're in a world economy now and even the big US corps have to have a number of price points and offshore products or components to survive. Welcome to the real world.
  11. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I'll answer this topic with the five terms that apply best in this case and others alike it.

Selective perception
    Selective abstraction
    Generalization
    Supposition
    Prejudgment

What that means is that none of the strategies mentioned so far are even remotely sufficient enough to come to a logical conclusion of this completely irrelevant question. That is, of course, my subjective opinion which is dominated by a far more relaxed view of the world and the people and actually embracing people doing stuff differently instead of sitting on my porch holding up a shotgun as a monumental representation of something very much smaller in my life.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

This gives -

Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 30.20% higher than in United States
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 26.19% higher than in United States
    Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 17.33% higher than in United States
    Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 48.30% higher than in United States
    Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 12.94% higher than in United States
    Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 28.78% lower than in United States

Now take into account that Americans are paid higher salaries and pay MUCH lower taxes, and you have a people that can afford to buy nicer things.
  13. RED J

Huh ? I guess he said, If ya dig it, ya dig it. Dig it ! :bassist:
  14. topo morto

topo morto

+1
  15. topo morto

topo morto

Also Americans don't have to pay to go on holiday, because they're already in America.
  16. GretschBassist

LMAO
  17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1
  18. RED J

Don't laugh ! I live in a place where people come to weekend and vacation /holiday. I feel privileged ! They've been paying for my gear for years !
  19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

You are correct. "Made in America" always meant more in the US than internationally. Many American products are looked at as being inferior, such as cars and beef.

Personally, I don't think a MIA Fender is worth double the price of a MIM or even a MIC. But the fact that it's "Made in America" is important mainly to Americans.
  20. GretschBassist

How do you know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.