1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Do dings and scratches bother you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rickenmonster, Mar 15, 2014.

1. If I were a collector, I'm sure they would upset me a great deal. But to me, they are just part of the life of the bass. I ask because a friend goes ballistic when his guitar gets even a minor blemish-and it's not even a super high-end guitar either ( I've never damaged his guitar).

2. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
  5. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Feb 4, 2013
    Ventura County
    Not even a little.

6. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Jul 2, 2012
    Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I don't let it bother me, however I know plenty of people that get very bummed. I figure as you stated its just part of....

7. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    No. Tone and playability are king. Good basses aren't mint unless they are brand new because they get played. I'm always skeptical of a 'mint' bass that has some years under the belt for that very reason.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    On a really pretty bass, the first scratch bothers me, but then I get over it. Lately, a lot of my basses have been used, so they came scratched already.

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    They used to, but not so much anymore. I still try to take good care of them and treat them well, but **** happens. I don't like to see giant chips of paint missing, but normal little dings don't bother me anymore.

10. The only time they bother me is when someone is selling a bass & hasn't taken the gratuitous crack on the instrument into consideration for the price. :p

11. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    First world problem.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  13. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Don't mind the least.

15. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

Mar 19, 2013
  16. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    It did when it first happened, but I had a tie clip scrape the you-know-what out of the back of my bass. After a couple of nights, I realized it was the beginning of real-life road wear. None of that Road Worn® junk for me.

17. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Not personally, no. I love dents. Only bothers me because I think "oh ****, now when I sell this I'm going to need to listen to some Craigslist nitpicker point out the dent to me"

18. Hah! Yes!

19. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    My first real guitar in like 1990 was a USA BC Rich STIII, it was mint when I got it for $600 used. The first dent killed me, a dozen or so scratches and dents, 24 years, and 20 guitars/basses later nope it doesn't. I play em, I keep them on stands, I can't keep anything nice, so it just adds character now.

20. Only the first one.

(edit: I see rusty g string beat me to it...)