Do DJ's run in stereo?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Jan 27, 2013.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

One of my band members is picking up some DJ gigs. As a band we always have just run mono. The board that is being used, can sum to mono, and when this function is used, the R output can be routed as a low pass subwoofer output.

Just wondering if the board should be used in this manner for DJ'ing or it should be run in stereo with an outboard crossover.

Thanks

2. ggunn

ggunn

It will work either way, but most recorded music is stereo. If all the client cares about is LOUD, it may not be an issue.

3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

As a DJ I'm not a big fan of stereo mixes (especially for a lot of the music I play). The reason for this is that, depending on speaker placement you might end up with the drums only on one side of the room! But that's if you're playing older stuff. A lot of contemporary club music does not rely much on stereo panning to achieve any kind of "listener effect", it's designed so that, regardless of where you are in the club, you'll get the full ear numbing experience. :D

4. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

No. Stereo imaging is actually hard to achieve, and involves being close to centered between the speakers for the imaging to work. Very little of the crowd stays in the sweet spot, so the effect mostly means that half the crowd misses on the panned channels. At the cost of doubling their amps to support another channel, the DJ's I know simplify to mono. My DJ business does likewise.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Thanks for the replies. Hooked things up this afternoon; did it in mono and used the internal crossover. My buddy didn't have an external xover, so mono it is.