1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do Graph Tech Saddles Fit Am. Standard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dannnnn, Feb 6, 2013.

1. dannnnn

dannnnn Supporting Member

I don't like the saddles that come with the Fender American Standard (2007) Jazz bass I have. I didn't like the ones on the Am. Deluxe I used to have, either. The E string always sounds a little weird to me and I'm not interested in using a taper wound E string. A Hipshot (or comparable) bridge will cost more than I want to spend. I was thinking about just replacing the saddles with Graph Tech or something else. Do the adjustment screw/saddle thread sizes vary? If so, does anyone know what will fit?

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

3. dannnnn

I think I prefer the large groove, but I might consider those.
  4. dannnnn

The photo of the Graph Tech saddles makes it look like they all have the screws on the same side. If necessary, can those be reversed?
  5. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I fitted Graphtech (piezo) saddles to a Jazz bridge with no problems. In fact, I used a Gotoh plate while I was at it because I don't like the bent piece of tin that passes for standard.

Graphtech do a range, so it's just a case of making sure you order the correct set. Should be issue-free and I like them, although I was primarily after the piezo capability.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i doubt the saddle has anything to do with that.

trouble with the graph-tech (like any other single, centered-groove saddle) is that the string spacing ends up not lining up right between jazz pickup magnet pairs like it should.
  7. dannnnn

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

pickup height, overall setup, a too-twisted up string (important, and often overlooked), amp and cab EQ, etc.

as long as the bridge and saddles are a good solid design (and the newer fender american bass ones very much are), it won't be hurting the tone.
  9. dannnnn

I did change the way I restring thanks to Talkbass. I used to get a chorus effect from twisted strings. I may buy some pickup foam because the adjustment seems to have lost some spring. The pickup won't go up high enough.