1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do I counter sink the bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

I'm looking for opinions here.

I was putting the oil coats down on my current build.

For grins and giggles, I put the various pieces in place just to get a picture of what my end product is going to look like.

I think the bridge looks a bit bulky.
    I have room to countersink it 3/16's, but doing so, I'd have to also sink the neck an 1/8.

Would you go through the effort of countersinking?

[​IMG]
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The typical answer is to give a bit of a slope to the bottom of the body. It looks cleaner.
    [​IMG]
  3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Wouldn't you have to sink the pup's as well, It looks great how it is.
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I would probably tilt it back if possible, but I think it will not look so bulky with the strings on it.
  5. Scoops

After pondering my sitchiashun here, I've decided that I will be countersinking the bridge and neck.

I wouldn't be happy with it as a big chunk of metal sittin on top of that nice piece of wood. I'll prolly get around to it in a day or so.

Thanks for feedback
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

I have countersunk the bridges on two of my builds.
    I like the strings to be close to the body, not like playing ramp close but just under 1/4".
  7. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Why is it called countersink? Just sounds like that would mean raise. Anyway, silly words aside I think you might try it out first as is, and then sink later if you deem it needed. You can take away clean enough, but adding some back gets a little messy. If feel isn't your main concern, Jazz Ad's example does look very nice with the sloping.
  8. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Can we see more of it? :)
  9. Scoops

Zach,

You are correct in pointing out the error of my terminology.

Here's what wiki sez: A countersink (symbol: ⌵) is a conical hole cut into a manufactured object, or the cutter used to cut such a hole. A common use is to allow the head of a countersunk bolt or screw, when placed in the hole, to sit flush with or below the surface of the surrounding material.

But you did get the drift of what I'm trying to do.

I'll post more pics after I get the bridge taken care of.
  10. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

Lots of different ways to approach this, but I wouldn't countersink necessarily for appearance's sake.

I start with a neck pocket depth that structurally sound, plays comfortably at the upper frets, and puts the string height a distance from the body that is both comfortable to play and keeps the pickups from sitting too high or too low. Then I would consider countersinking the bridge so that the saddles heights are between the bottom 1/3 and 1/2 of their adjustable range, once the bass is assembled.

Nice design, good luck!
  11. Scoops

Beau,

Thanks for the insight.

I have indeed modeled this up in Solidworks, so all the things that you indicate are design parameters that I like to stick to as well.

However, I think I'm going to have to disagree a bit with the sinking just for the appearance sake. It looks much better to me now that I have it sunk the neck and bridge. I'm in Jensby's camp. I like my strings close to the instrument

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Scoops

Once I get her done, I'll post more pics
  13. JayGunn

JayGunn Gold Supporting Member

What bridge is that? ABM? generic eBay Chinese (looks too good, actually)?
  14. mick46

mick46

Looks identical to a hipshot so I'll say "Its a Hipshot" ! :)
  15. Scoops

It's a Hipshot