Do i need a bigger rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Adam Maloney, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Adam Maloney

Adam Maloney

A few months ago, I Sold my gk 410 and head and bought the new GK 112-2 combo, and really enjoying it. It's transparent for upright, and I use a sansamp bddi for color to my electrics. My group has been playing some big shows, including for 6000 people at a local venue (big for me, I'm only 16, don't kill my hopes to soon!). This amp is only 200 watts, but I've either been Micing through a PA or using the amp's DI for venues where it is necessary. Is this going to work as I continue to play these shows? Or will I need the extra 300 watts an extension cab would give?

P.S I'm working on a pedalboard, so I'd rather not buy another cab, but I will if it's necessary.

2. jlepre

jlepre

I would try the extension cab before trashing the current rig. If you like the tone, then another identical cab would make it TWICE as nice.

3. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Being that it is a second series Combo, you can scale your rig up basically indefinately. YOu could get the 200 watt powered 1x12 extension AND/OR the 500 watt 2x12.

YOU will know when you need a bigger rig, nto many people can really tell you until you feel that you need it.

4. Adam Maloney

Adam Maloney

Well you see, I know there's something I'm missing, because my amp is basically my personal monitor, and just feeding the tone through the PA, so whats the point of having a large rig as long as I have PA support? I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just skipping over it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

For what it's worth, Adam, I've been playing for 23 years, and I agree with you completely.

7. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

The good reason is when you need your rig for MORE then personal monitoring, or if it is unfit in that duty. From the sounds of it, you are good for now.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Penile insecurity for the most part.

You've got a very good thing going! If you and your bandmates can hear the bass fine you have won the lottery. Don't screw it up!

If you also play shows without PA then you are undergunned. You have to keep up to the drums, another 12 fixes that.

Once you add guitars it's often too loud for the vocals so the drummer has to "turn down" too. A lot of bands have a real problem with this concept, apparently not yours or you wouldn't be playing to 6000 people with 1x12 already. Nice one dude!

9. Adam Maloney

Adam Maloney

Thanks! My band has a 1000 watt PA for when we play places without their own. I wasn't sure if the goal was to NOT have to use a PA when possible, because I'm pretty set for a while as long as were using the PA