1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do I need to get a setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassinplace, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Hello,

I've got a Squier CV P bass that is currently strung with D'addario Chromes. It has been played a lot. I want to try La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats on it. Is it a good idea to get a setup if I change the strings? Thanks.

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Can't hurt. But it's really easy to do a setup - search TB and YouTube. I always setup my students' basses and often have them watch me.

3. MostlyBass

You could always do a skype lesson with a TB'er to walk you through it.

4. fkh006

fkh006

I think it is a good idea to learn how to set up your own instrument.
    One mans perfect set-up could be another mans living hell.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/com...e-guide-to-the-perfect-bass-guitar-setup.html

Fender also has decent instructions on their web site.

It not that hard and well worth the time spent IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If you are not happy with the way your bass plays, get a setup. If you are happy, don't worry about it. Doing your own setup is not that difficult.

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

I know nothing about the way a bass is built, so I'm not sure if I trust myself. The bass I'm talking about gets about 95% of my playing time so I wouldn't want to futz it up. I could try it out on another bass though, I'll look into it.

But do y'all think doing the string change I was referring to would require a setup at the same time or would it be possible that maybe I could just change them and be okay with it?

8. MostlyBass

It may need a SLIGHT change as the flats are thicker. Probably just lowering the saddles a hair which depending on how trained your ears are the intonation would change slightly - that would require moving the saddles back or forward. The truss rod may or may not need an adjustment but I always find that the easy part.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Changing strings means changing tension and altering intonation.
    A setup is a normal thing to do. Takes 10 minutes.

10. fkh006

fkh006

I sense no interest in learning.

Good luck with that...

11. carpcutter

carpcutter

My own experience going from rounds to flats was that the flats had a much higher tension than the rounds, requiring adjustments all around when I swapped them on an Affinity Jazz I have.

12. wmheilma

wmheilma

Changing the brand/gauge/type of strings is definitely a good time to do some set up work. It is not that hard if you have a few tools, patience, common sense, and you tube!

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

No interest, no. Fear, yes.

14. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

If the strings you are about to put on (Labella's) are larger gauge than the strings you already have on (Chromes) there's are reasonable chance that the slots in the nut will need to be widened. And if the gauge of the Labella's is indeed larger than the Chromes, there's also a reasonable chance that the truss rod will need to be tweaked a bit.

A full and proper set up might serve you well, and it's really not technically hard to do if you've got a basic set of tools and you're used to doing simple tasks with those tools.

But do check if the Labella's are larger gauge because putting on a set of strings where the slot is too small is a sure way to crack the nut, especially on the E string side.

We're here to help :bassist:

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Thanks Slowgypsy! Checked out your website and gave ya an fb like. Really good stuff! :bassist:

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

My grandma always stayed on 1st channel on her TV. She was afraid to mess up something if she touched the remote.

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

:spit:

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you remove all the strings off your bass you will need to do a setup. When your bass was shipped to the store it was shipped at tension because the neck has so much tension on it without a counter tension to keep it where it is it will move.

When changing strings always ensure you leave one string on, I usually change the G string first and then change the other 3 at the same time. The G string has the most tension (or whatever your highest may be tuned to).

19. schecter5string

schecter5string

I disagree with this. Maybe on a bass with a crappy neck, yes.
    I routinely take all my strings off of my fender and Schecter to soak in denatured alcohol for cleaning. They are of my bass from 24 to 48 hours at a time. No problems at all.

20. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

If the strings are the same tension and gauge a set up is probably not needed. Not a bad idea, but not needed.

As for for leaving one string on that is complete BS. You should loosen the truss rod if the strings will be off for a while (more than a few days) but to just change strings and clean the fret board is fine to take them all off.

21. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Thank you for the FB like :hyper:
    The three of us are having fun with this project.