1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do I need to go to a luthier?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Hi all, I have noticed the scratch marks at the base (see pictures) caused I belive by the steel plate that my DB rests on (eg as it sits on the stand) - is it serious enough to warrant fixing now? I have also noticed (and hopefully picture is clear) that the glue around the base seems to be changing in color, not sure of the reason?
    To avoid problem 1, I used some antiskid strips from my local hardware store but I think they are causing the lacquer to come off as well (sigh!) as you may also notice?

Appreciate your advice

Thank you

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Lose the stand! The scratch is just that. Have it touched up if it bothers you.

3. homersbassfarm

homersbassfarm Banned

touch up the scratch- change the stand so it won't make contact- touch up stain is sold at Wal-mart and Lowes just to mention a couple of places.

glue- usually gets darker over time from the dirt accumulation and body oil if you touch it-If its hide glue, you could probably clean it with steam(easy does it) or a heated(not too much) instrument cleaner that you can get at International violin or Kolstein music.

4. tyb507

tyb507

Don't go near your seams with steam, if you want to avoid a trip to the luthier!

Is the glue only turning white in that spot? Is the seam still solidly closed? Is the white glue soft? I wouldn't worry about it if the seam is still glued, but show it to your luthier next time you have your bass in for something else.

Just a thought, are you putting a soaked/dripping dampit in the f-hole above where the glue is discolored? Perhaps water is dripping and softening some white glue somebody once closed the seam with.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Thanks all - might just keep an eye on it for now, adjust the stand and take DB to luthier if conditions worsen..

7. homersbassfarm

homersbassfarm Banned

"do you need a luthier"

let's all say it together --- YES!

congrats --- you have forum yeses

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

+1, otherwise no need for a visit to a luthier.

9. swan6797

swan6797

The scratch can be touched up by your luthier and the "changing color" looks like an open seam. Go to a luthier. They will fix it properly

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Absolutely, go and visit your luthier. Take him/her an espresso or a six pack (depending) and ask them to check it out.

You'll have put your mind at ease about your bass and improved your relationship with your luthier all at once! ;)

11. swan6797

swan6797

+1