1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do I need to mod my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osztertag2112, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Hey guys i bought a cheap beater project bass for $50 and ibwas gonna make it fretless and Ive started to strip it down already bcause i wanna refinish it but id really like to get that late 60s beefy jack bruce, mel schacher type tone. So my question is, right now it just has a p/j set up, but will i need that classic mudbucker to gey the sound im looking for. The bass is in pieces now and im not sure if it will have the sound im looking for wheb its finished so id lile to know if i should route a hole in it now for a humbucker???

2. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Yes, you should mod it any way you want. I did the same thing a few years ago - got a relatively cheap bass and learned how to do mods with it. When all was said and done I gave it to some kid but it was a great learning experience on refinishing in tongue oil, replacing hardware and pickups, etc. I say go for it and good luck.

Also, it helped me get the desire to do "bass mods" out of my system for awhile. Now I just play my basses the way they are and leave 'em alone.

3. JACink

JACink

Please post pics ;)

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Putting in a similar looking pickup gives you no guarantees. So the answer is, installing a mudbucker probably won't get you what you want. But it's a $50 bass- mod away. Just don't set your expectations high.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Lol yeah i dont have high expectations just dreams! I guess i will do it ive got nothing much to loose! Now what pu would you reccomend for fat 60sstoned

7. headband

headband Supporting Member

Also realize you can mod away, but probably won't get your money back, as it is still a $50 bass, so proceed with that in mind!

8. Grissle

Grissle

Aaaannnndddd, with any bass tone/sound other than a clean or natural tone (in which the hands/technique/style will have more of an impact), the amps/preamp/cab etc. can have a lot to do with the end result when any kind of grindy or overdriven sound is the target.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Allparts sells Gibson-style humbucker repro's. Don't know what they sound like, but it's your only practical option. Buying an original 60's/70's Gibson factory pickup will likely set you back a couple hundred bucks.

10. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    They don't get it lol!!!

11. JACink

JACink

I was going to say that he can play some amazing licks with it...:bag:

12. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
  13. ejaggers

ejaggers

No!!! You should never mod a bass!!!

All manufacturers go to painstaking effort to design the perfect bass for it's price point. Oh wait, I forgot, I'm a mod-aholic, so what in the world made me say that. The devil made me do it!!!