1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do I need to worry about ruining my cab with a Bugera 1960?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dubhnight, Dec 20, 2012.

1. dubhnight

dubhnight

Hi, I'm thinking of picking up a 1960 by Bugera, which is a reasonably powerful tube amp. I'll be playing it through a 1x15 cab that I built myself, with an Eminence Legend 15" bass speaker. The cab is tuned to around 40hz, and is ported.
    Now, I intend to play this loud, mostly rock and roll bass playing, but I'd like to be able to put out some PiL style fat dubby bass as well, which the cabinet seems to handle well.
    The question I'm asking is will I be putting my cab under more pressure than it'll be able to take with this rig? I won't be tuning down, so It's unlikely that it'll have to deal with anything below it's tuning frequency, and the rating of the amp doesn't exceed the thermal rating of 300w for my speaker.
    Ideally, of course, I'd be getting another cab to deal with this, but that just isn't going to happen at the moment, for financial reasons. I'm stuck with what I've got.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

100w running all out might get the low E going at that tuning. Keep an ear on it.
  3. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Your cab should have no problems handling that amp. Should be plenty loud and sound great. I have an old Eminence 15 that has been abused on and off over the years and it just keeps goin'. Still use it when I want a single 15 set up. Still sounds great.
  4. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

I'm running the 1960 through a 4x10 that is rated for 300w and is also spec'd to 40Hz, and I have never had a problem, even when using a 5-string tuned all the way down to A. Give it a shot, it's a great sounding amp [​IMG]
  5. dubhnight

dubhnight

Excellent guys, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty excited to get a hold of this amp. It's very difficult to find sound samples of it though with bass, does anyone have any?