Do I really need a Phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bonga_rascal, Nov 11, 2012.

1. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Hi,

So sometime back, I had posted a thread here about some pedals I was planning to buy. Now, I have to first of all thank the guys here for some great advice. I just bought the Xotic Bass RC Booster, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and the MXR Bass Envelope Filter.

But while I was going to buy a phaser, I didn't get it.

Now, I'm seriously considering getting one. I'll tell you what I have in mind. I'm primarily planning to use it with pick style grooves. I've become a huge Bobby Vega fan recently and that has inspired me to play with a pick. And I have always loved ANthony Jackson's tone on 'For the love of Money'. So thats where the love of the phaser comes from.

Now, I have heard from some people that you can get a phaser-ish sound from any good envelope filter? Is this true??

In any case, I dunno. DO you think I really need a phaser? I don't really have a problem shelling out the $$ to get a new one but I thought I'd post this here.

Thanks.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Only YOU can answer this, but unless your filter is an envelope phaser type thing, like the Pigtronix EP-2, you cannot get phaser sounds from an envelope filter.
  3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Get a phase 90 for $50 used, see if you like it, and sell it if you don't. An envelope filter will not "space out"like a phaser
  4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

yes you should, a slow phraser + chorus + micro pog = instant leslie sound hehe
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Yes....yes you do
  7. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

As this is an effects sub-forum, I am obligated to answer: yes.

Personally, I don't like the phaser sound so much as flanger. Flanger just seems to work better with bass, from my limited experience. Or at least what my wallet could afford.
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I don't think it's easy to get a phaser sound from an envelope filter. You can get some of the chewiness, but definitely not the slow rise and fall effect.

I don't know if it's a necessity to own a phaser, but it's one of my favorites. You may ultimately prefer similar modulation like chorus or a flanger instead.
  9. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Well, that's it. You guys have officialy helped me spend $ 79.99. Cheers! :)
  10. MR PC

MR PC

The old MXR grey phaser with AC power, that works amazingly well for pick style bass ala Vega,.....maybe this has been reissued?....and recently I was surprised to see a Behringer phaser on a gig (Pedal Steel player) he told me it's the best phaser he's ever used., and indeed it sounded great
  11. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

My experience is that 99.99% of the places that I play at aren't set up well for sound, and the tone from a phasor doesn't translate at all to the audience unless it's CRANKED. The same could be said for any effect in live situations (unless you're at a place specifically built for good sound or is otherwise known to have killer acoustics). It's loads more important in live situations to just get the beat and feel right. As such, a phasor is really not "necessary," IHO.

If you're looking to use it mostly in the studio, everything I said above is invalid.
  12. jetbike

jetbike

More importantly, do I need a phaser?
  13. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

was gonna recommend you the Boss PH-2, but seems you favor MXR better :D
  14. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Here is one example of the Pigtronix EP2 with MXR M288 and Disnortion Fuzz+Octava:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Asking us if you need this or that effect is like asking a drunk if you can have a beer. So yeah, you need a phaser.
    After owning the EHX Small Stone for a year, I settled on the MXR 90 (block logo), which I use for funk (set around 9 am). Warm, no low-end loss, small footprint, well-made. Like it. Drink it.
  16. mouthmw

mouthmw

+1 to phase 90 block
    Simple, small, warm and sits great in the mix.
  17. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Phasers and flangers are a lot of fun on bass. I like them very much.

The MXR block or script 90 are great on bass.
    Boss PH-1R is the one I use. I also have a Moog MF-103, the tone of this pedal is as outrageous as its price.
  18. bassburton

bassburton

+2 to the Phase 90 Block. It's quite funky, especially with a fuzz before it.
  19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

As stated, only you can really answer that question. If you're doing original stuff, you may find a very unique use for it. If you're doing the standard cover song selection (minus the Nuge's Stranglehold), it may be of little use. I also second cae suggestion of a flanger. A lot of times, for bass, you need to be a little more extreme with your effects, particuarly if you're using them in a live setting. A flange carries through a bit more in a live setting than a phaser.
  20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Is there a clip somewhere of the script 90 on bass ? Couldn't find one on the Toob.
  21. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Demo a Moog Phasor. Then tell me you don't need a phasor. It's like driving an M Beemer. Your feet worked fine getting you wherever you really need to go but then. Not so much.