1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do instruments sounding better unplugged sound better plugged as well?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyberprimate, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cyberprimate

cyberprimate

I always test archtop electric guitars unplugged before trying them with an amp. But what about solid body basses (or guitars)? Doesn't a loud sounding solid body guitar (unplugged) mean more absorption of string vibration and therefore less sustain and less harmonics recorded by the pickups?

2. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

WHile it always thrills me to play a "live"unamplified bass, it is rather low on the list of things I need to have.

Knowing that any structurally sound bass can be made to play well, I go for how it feels in my hands and how it sounds flat when amplified.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I always like to test a bass unplugged first. It gives me a big idea to the attack, resonance, and timber of what's there without the coloring of the test amp involved. As long as the electronics don't ruin it for me (like Barts always do) then I'm typically knowing what to expect plugged in.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Pretty much this.
    Bartolinis are okay, though. Ya kinda know what you're getting with them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mark4

Mark4

Everything else being equal, I'd say that's usually the case, but all is not equal. Especially in terms of electronics, as others have mentioned. The unplugged tone can give you an idea of what to expect, or what an instrument might sound like if it has good pickups etc., but it doesn't tell the whole story.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I never cared how a bass sounded unplugged. I own some basses that sound like crap unplugged, and great in a band mix.... and some that are the polar opposite. To each hizzone!

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I've always wondered about this. You read interviews with Luthiers and they often rave about how great their bass sounds unplugged, you can hear the sonic qualities of the wood, etc. etc. - OK, yeah, but does any of that actually come out though the electronics? Or is it just... how the bass sounds unplugged?

9. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Same here! I don't doubt that there is a correlation for some between the way a bass sounds unplugged and how good it sounds amplified, but I've never experienced it.

10. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

11. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Pretty much this. It's the first thing I do when I pick up a prospective bass.

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Agreed,a dead sounding not resonant bass usually transfers plugged in.

13. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Nope I plug that sucker in! I couldnt care less how it sounded without an amplifier, as long as it sounds good through an amp.

14. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

Yes, definitely. Tone is generated by many components like strings, pups, instrument design, and the instrument construction. Different woods offer different tone qualities and how that instrument is constructed has a major impact on how it plays. If it were as easy as just slapping a certain wood species together in a certain configuration and with the same electronics, every instrument would sound and play the same. There is a reason they do not. The secret is in the wood and the materials used.

While electronics certainly enhance tone or color it, the real test is how does the instrument sound un-plugged. it's been my overwhelming experience that if an instrument sounds great not powered, it has great potential to be an outstanding player once powered. It's not unlike building a house on an unstable or shoddy foundation. Nothing great comes out of that scenario.

Sepp

15. deeptubes

deeptubes

I don't plug prospective basses in either. To me, playing unplugged let's you hear the soul of the instrument. I do buy basses of the net, unheard. I've had a couple that I've received, sat down and played, and gone "Eww!" Kept them for a little while, but sonically they never appealed to me. Those are obviously no longer a part of my bass family.

16. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

+1

I always test them unplugged first. That gives you an idea of how the bass resonates. The sound of the bass does not come only from electronics.

17. GM60466

GM60466

Unplugged first but I don't pull out my wallet until I hear it through an amp or soundsystem

18. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I used to believe this like religion, but after many years of experience I've found it's generally a poor indicator. More often than not, an instrument that sounds good to me unplugged will not sound good plugged in; and conversely, my three best basses don't sounds that great unplugged. A totally dead instrument; yeah, the unplugged test can tell you that. That's a very small minority of the cases.

/rick

19. Eric66

Eric66

Always test it unplugged and then plugged, but it is no guarantee at all. I owned several squier JV precisions in the past, and one of them sounded very good unplugged, and also plugged at home (low volumes). What an amazing low bass sounds! What happened? During rehearsals it seemed that the sound was muddy, undefined and dit not cut through the mix at all! This bass was useless and had to go.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

+1...

- georgestrings

21. Jim C

Jim C

Ironic.
    Was curious to see how some old Duncan Designed pups would sound in a stock SX Jazz.
    This bass does not sound very good unplugged.
    The comparison was with a 72' Jazz that sounds great unplugged.
    The DD pups sounded much better than the stock SX pups and both basses sounded great plugged in.
    In this case, unplugged tone did not correspond to plugged in.