1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do-it-yourself buffer pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arcureo, Feb 24, 2014.

1. arcureo

arcureo

Hi, I was discussing with Shenanigans about a problem of passive blending I had, with a Bass Big Muff, and he suggested using a buffer to avoid it.

It actually worked (I used an old Boss BE-10 I had lying around) but I wanted to see if I could achieve the same results with a smaller pedal.
    I've found that Analog Man actually makes those gizmos (here) but since they seem pretty simple devices I was wondering if anyone has the schematics to build one myself! (Ok, well, with the help of a friend who is more into soldering and circuitries… :D )

Any help?

Thanks…
  2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Look up the fromel buffer on Google- ill try to find it, they have a great thread at bjfe
  3. eddododo

http://www.bjfe.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1762

EDIT

[​IMG]

if youre willing to go down the rabbit hole, various types of spiltters and blenders are basically just buffers and pots. Be prepared to not get a lot done on bass while you get into electronics though :p
  4. mrmills

mrmills

Breadboard layout for a simple, buffered, blend.

[​IMG]

Page is here
  5. arcureo

arcureo

Thanks, everybody… the one with the blend might be even overkill though… I'd like something really meat-and-potatoes, like "input jack - THINGIE - output jack"
    Probably the BJFE model is fine, but on the other blog, too, the one with the Guitar FX Layouts, I did find something that might be right.
    This one

[​IMG]

Page is here.

Is that right? :cool:

Cheers
  6. eddododo

Amz stuff is always tops, so I'm sure either would be great. I'd be happy to do a layout this afternoon of the BJFE, if wanted. I know the BJFE is super transparent, first hand.

The amz is probably great, but I've never used it, especially on bass, and since you're not using it for long cable runs, I keep it simple and use the other one- the picture i posted is a fully 'ready to box' circuit. They included protection from real world failure.
  7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  8. arcureo

arcureo

Really? Could you? It'd be much appreciated! :smug:
  9. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I've used the AMZ-FX jfet buffer in a few effect loop pedals and other pedals for bass and it is totally transparent and works well. Best thing is, it's extremely simple and will fit in a tiny enclosure.

[​IMG]

Stripboard:
    [​IMG]
  10. arcureo

arcureo

In the end I got this one… it works fine, as far as I can tell…!

:cool: