Do light flats play sound wise the same as heavier?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jessicabass, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Interested in trying some light strings.
    If say my 50-70-85-105 were replaced with
    40-60-75-95 strings would i get the same sound through my amp?
    Or would i lose my beefy sound.

2. lz4005

lz4005

I went from 105 to 95 Chromes on my fretless acoustic a few years ago. The sound changed a little, but not a whole lot.

It depends on how your bass is set up, what kind of pickups and electronics, how you play, what kind of amp, etc. There's no way to know for sure without trying.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The feel changes more than the sound.

4. donn

donn

I bet you'd notice more if you play with a pick, or if you work at getting a strong attack kind of like that with your fingers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MaHei

MaHei

Yes, feel changes somewhat. Also lighter stings are more fexible and produce more high mids, so they sound brighter. But no sacrifice on the bass end as far as I can hear.

My experience matches this clip:

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Yes you'll notice some difference. I noticed it with rounds too going back to standard gauge from light on my G&L, the heavier strings had a wee more substance in the notes. Maybe it's the tension.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Heavier gauges have more complexity, lighter gauges have more fundamental due mostly to the differences in tension.

9. hotbass57

hotbass57

I just put lite gauge Chromes on my pbass. The tension is awesome and the tone and balance is perfect. Don't really hear any low end loss.

10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

If your a finger style player probably not, if you use a pick you will probably notice a diffrence

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll give $50 to anyone who can reliably guess what string gauges the bassist used on recordings.

12. donn

donn

Sure, but by that standard, any strings are just about the same as any other. Depending on the recordings, and your expectations for "reliably" ... who's going to say for sure they didn't use piano wire on those old recordings?

Not that we should kid ourselves about this stuff, but ... like, visit the recent what-strings-for-rickenbacker thread, and listen to the youtube video linked a couple days ago from a Japanese student of the Beatles (might have to follow an extra link or two, the original video was pulled when I looked.) Strings are La Bella 760FX, the extra light set, played with a pick. I have the extra heavy 760M set, and it couldn't sound more different - sure, very different bass, but the strings too. If you're looking for that sound (and it's not a bad choice), heavy strings aren't going to help!

13. jessicabass

jessicabass

Has anyone had problems setting up for lower action with the light gauge flats?
    I know with the heavier it just happens but is there a few pointers for low action with light strings?

14. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

They might need slightly higher action due to less tension, more flexibility.

Make sure to push on both side of nut and both side of bridge saddle at first tune.

I personally raise the saddles til I stop clanging with normal attack

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  16. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

760FX start out super twangy and go deader than dead. Too dead for me. I'd rather control decay with my hands.