1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do pedals send active signals to the amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JoeBbass, Jan 12, 2014.

1. JoeBbass

JoeBbass

Probably a dumb question but I want to know which input I plug the pedal into

2. JoeBbass

JoeBbass

When combined with an active bass could it cause a problem? (Both pedal and preamp were turned down very low)

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Active inputs are not really special, they are just the volume turned down a bit. Pretty irrelevant feature. So it doesn't matter at all which you use, active inputs could happily cease to exist on any amp with a volume control.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

If you are asking if you have to use the padded input (depending on the amp, -15 DB for example) on the amp with pedals, the answer is no as Mr. Foxen said.

Sometimes you have to be careful. If the level is too hot from the bass you can distort the input of the pedal. If the signal is too hot out of the pedal, it can overwhelm the input of the amp.

Use your ears and adjust the volume/gain levels to give you the best sound. Use whatever input on the amp that works the best.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+1

Only use the padded input if you can't get a clean sound out of your regular input. My active Spector basses all require the -15DB (gain reduction, not volume) because the preamps in them are too hot. To get a clean tone, I need to back my gain down on my Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal and amp.