Do some jazz basses have different neck widths?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sonicblue62, Dec 5, 2013.

1. sonicblue62

sonicblue62

I recently acquired a 1973 / 74 Fender Jazz Bass that I mentioned in another thread. I ordered a new nut for it as the old one seemed to be off center and generally in bad shape. I got the nut today and realized that it is quite a bit wider than the old one, although it looks like it would fit just fine on my Fender Custom Shop 64 jazz. I didn't realize that Fender had changed the neck profile of their jazz basses over the years. I suppose mine could be an anomaly, but I don't have enough experience to say either way. At this point I'm not sure where to go to get the right size nut to finish the job or if I just need to have a custom nut made. I can post some pics later, but does anyone have any helpful advice in the meantime?

2. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

I have had Jazz basses that measured 1 1/2" exactly at the nut. My 1983 Reissue '62 Jazz measures 1 7/16". My 1972 Precision "A" neck also measures 1 7/16" at the nut. But the real difference to me is the shape/profile. The "A" neck is the slimmest by far.

Get a pro to make a custom bone nut to fit. You'll be glad you did.