1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do Sting basses have different necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lz4005, Jan 20, 2014.

1. lz4005

lz4005

Have there been changes to the neck of Sting Signature basses over the years?

Mine has a very different feeling neck than the current ones. It's a 1999-2002 according to the serial number. I bought it new from a brick and mortar Fender dealer around that time and it hasn't been modded in any way.

The neck is slightly wider at the nut but thinner front to back compared to three new ones I've tried recently. Basically much less chunky/baseball bat in terms of profile.

The neck on mine fits my hand perfectly and I wanted to get another one as a backup, but the profile feels completely different now.

Anyone else notice this or have any information?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Fender neck profiles are a moving target over time.

3. UK Philip

UK Philip

why on earth would you want to play sting's bass guitar? do you especially appreciate the signature inlay on the neck?

4. lz4005

lz4005

It feels good and sounds good.

It's a tool for making money, not something I spend a lot of time looking at.

I knew there's always been a good bit of variation in standard Fender necks, but this is the first time I've heard of a signature model changing over time. I'm mainly trying to pin it down to a particular date so I could maybe track down another one with the same profile.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

7. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I don't know, but I had an early Sting that was pretty much a chunky baseball bat, so maybe your bass is an outlyer.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Another area you may want to look is the '51 P RI, and Paisley or Blue Flower SCPB RI necks.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

This bass is made by Dyna-Gakki, which also did all the other MIJ Fender SCPBs imported in this century. People always claim the necks vary from one production run to the next, and this seems to be the case. I believe that in general the Dyna SCPBs used to have somewhat fatter necks than they do now.

10. lz4005

lz4005

Well, crap. Just my luck that the one neck that fits my hand perfectly would be from an oddball production run.

Thanks for the info.

It must be. The width on this one splits the difference between my Jazz and standard P, and is not chunky at all.