1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do SX basses have glued-in frets?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Nov 27, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I'm planning on refretting an SX bass neck - would the frets have been glued in? Do I need to heat them with a soldering iron before I pull them?
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Don't know, but my luthier said the frets kept popping out of mine when he was doing a dress.
  3. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

:atoz:

...for how long?
  4. fourstringbliss

Did I say regretting?

I meant refretting! Darn autocorrect!

:D

I might end up regretting the refretting, though...
  5. fourstringbliss

It doesn't sound like they are, then.
  6. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

yes, always use heat to allow the fret to come out easier.
  7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Be very careful doing this on a maple board. You'd be surprised how quick a fret can get hot enough to scorch your fret lines for you.
  8. fourstringbliss

Yeah, that was my concern! I don't want to scorch the wood or the finish. My soldering iron has an adjustable heat setting - how hot should I make it for heating the frets?

Would it just be better to put a back bow in the neck with the truss rod? I saw that Dan Erlewine did this with clamps for taking the frets out of a maple fretboard.
  9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

;) Nice!
  10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm not honestly sure so I'll wait for someone with more experience about the truss rod. That sounds kinda scary to me.

As for the temp, it depends on the glue used. In this case it was probably some weird glue we've never seen before. Start low and wiggle the fret lightly back and forth to loosen it.
  11. fourstringbliss

Scratch the backbow idea - dumb.

I have fret pullers so I probably won't need that much glue if any. Is the heat just for glue? I had a badly seated fret in my other SX and I pulled it with no glue issue (although there might have been some under the tang).