1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do the screw holes in the Fender gold anodized pickguard line up...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GlennW, Sep 10, 2012.

1. GlennW

GlennW

with the 13-hole pickguards for the P Bass.

It looks like the screw hole to the right of the knobs on the metal p/g is different.

Any others?

2. JRT

JRT Supporting Member

I'm pretty positive they do. They just have less holes than the typical 13 hole guards.

3. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I put a 13 hole ano guard on my P bass, turned out to be a direct replacement, hole-for-hole.
    If your P has 13 holes, one would probably fit right on.

wraub

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I just received and installed one today on my AVRI '62.

Like you mention, there's a hole in between the volume and tone knobs on the 10-hole that is absent on the 13er, but other than that the others all line up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW

I noticed that, but the rest do line up...thanks. Only one hole to drill.

Thanks everybody.

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I too want to replace the tort guard on my 62 AVRI P with one of the gold anodized pickguards. I have read for days, not to mention squinting at hundreds of pictures.

Would someone please be so kind as to help a fellow bass monkey out and point him to a direct replacement or the closest fit without damaging the bass?

Thanks !

8. UpwardGroove

UpwardGroove

+1. 9 of the 10 holes line up with the original pg. The 10th hole referenced above falls in an area with no hole. You can either drill or leave it with no screw. I had the 10th hole drilled by a tech here in town when I replaced the pg on my AVRI '62. Bought mine from here: http://angela.com/search.aspx?find=992020 for $40. Price is back up to $60 now.

If you haven't replaced a pg on a P bass, it's a little more involved than on a J because the tone and volume knobs as well as the input jack are secured to the pg. If you're not careful you can pull any weak solder joints loose.

The reason I ended up taking mine to a tech is one of the solder joints on my input jack came loose as I was working on it. Since I had to take it to a tech to repair, I just had him drill the 10th hole. I'm glad I did because there are some simple precautions to take to avoid cracking the finish.

When you remove the original pg, you'll notice a thin metal shield under the pg. If you don't intend to drill the 10th hole, just leave it in place and proceed with the replacement. This is the easy way, but leaves you with only 9 screws securing the pg. The 10th hole will allow the metal shield to show through that hole.

I was tempted to drill the tenth hole right through the metal shield with the gold pg installed. I'm glad I didn't because the tech said the drill bit could have heated the metal and damaged the finish of the bass. Since I couldn't get used to the missing 10th screw, I traced the 10th hole on the metal shield and then removed the gold pg and metal shield. I drilled the 10th hole into the metal shield while it was off the bass then reinstalled. At this point, you have 10 holes in the metal shield that line up with the 10 holes of the gold pg. Now you see the finish of the bass through the 10th hole instead of the metal shield. All that's left at this point is the drill the 10th hole and install the screw.

It's not rocket science, but if I understood all this going in I would've been more prepared. I did this about three months ago and I'm still loving it. It'll look a lot like this when you're done:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/7007/Fender-Custom-Shop-59-Precision-Bass-Relic-3-Tone-Sunburst/

Good luck.

9. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Thanks ! That's what I needed to know !