1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do these basses sound alike?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HalfPlayer, Jul 27, 2013.

1. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

I have a Sterling SUB ray 4 and recently bought a Fender MIM Precision bass with quarter pounder pickups and a friend said they would sound very alike and im wondering if this is true
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Not in my experiance. two completely different animals. the fender has a split-coil pickup wired in series in the "fender sweet spot" while the sub ray has a parallel wired humbucker in the "musicman sweet spot" which is closer to the bridge, and has an active 2-band eq while the fender is passive.
  3. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

Thats what i was trying to tell him, pickup placement is way different
  4. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I doubt it. The P bass is a totally different animal, being that it's a single coil passive bass whereas a Music Man of any sort is normally an active humbucker.
  5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

if your friend doesn't play bass, then it's likely he would make that assertion. to most people, a bass is a bass.
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Keep in mind the tonal properties of a 1/4 lb.er are not vintage p and are more aggressive, so with this pickup the comparison holds merit.
  7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i've had a p-bass with a quarterpounder and i've had a stingray. while the p-bass was more aggressive with that pickup, they're still not in the same ballpark. the aggresiveness is the only thing they would have in common, IMHO. and even then it's a different kind of aggressive.
  8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Passive aggressive ?
  9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i wasn't trying to be, but thats a good way of putting it.
  10. seedokebass

seedokebass Supporting Member

+1 on that. Delano PMVC's might be even more Stingray-like...
  11. Duckwater

Duckwater

Your friend sounds clueless from that statement