1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do these basses sound alike?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HalfPlayer, Jul 27, 2013.

1. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

Jun 9, 2013
    I have a Sterling SUB ray 4 and recently bought a Fender MIM Precision bass with quarter pounder pickups and a friend said they would sound very alike and im wondering if this is true

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Not in my experiance. two completely different animals. the fender has a split-coil pickup wired in series in the "fender sweet spot" while the sub ray has a parallel wired humbucker in the "musicman sweet spot" which is closer to the bridge, and has an active 2-band eq while the fender is passive.

3. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

Jun 9, 2013
    Thats what i was trying to tell him, pickup placement is way different

4. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    I doubt it. The P bass is a totally different animal, being that it's a single coil passive bass whereas a Music Man of any sort is normally an active humbucker.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    if your friend doesn't play bass, then it's likely he would make that assertion. to most people, a bass is a bass.

6. Keep in mind the tonal properties of a 1/4 lb.er are not vintage p and are more aggressive, so with this pickup the comparison holds merit.

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i've had a p-bass with a quarterpounder and i've had a stingray. while the p-bass was more aggressive with that pickup, they're still not in the same ballpark. the aggresiveness is the only thing they would have in common, IMHO. and even then it's a different kind of aggressive.

8. Passive aggressive ?

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i wasn't trying to be, but thats a good way of putting it.

10. seedokebass

seedokebass Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    +1 on that. Delano PMVC's might be even more Stingray-like...

11. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Your friend sounds clueless from that statement