Do you believe you presently own your 'ultimate bass'?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumsnbass, Apr 3, 2014.

?

Do I presently own my 'ultimate bass'?

1. Yes

306 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. No

201 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Do you think you have 'the one' right now? The bass you can keep forever? The one that fits you like a glove?

Feel free to elaborate, but it is the poll numbers I really want to see in the end!
  2. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

89 views so far and only FOUR votes? seriously?
  3. Smashsquatch

Smashsquatch Supporting Member

I believe I have the one I'll take to my grave with me. I'm picking up some other stuff and trying to build something neat, but this is my baby. uploadfromtaptalk1396504767439.jpg
    timobee4 likes this.
  4. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I've only had it for just under 2 months--but I think so.

If not, I should have kept my money and waited for another one.

I'm picky when I buy a bass or guitar.
    It has to be something different from what I have, and something I'll use.

But when I first held my SR500F I knew it was mine.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Totally. My franken P is just so great. Feels like an old friend, its just incredibly easy to pick up and feel at home. Strung with some big ol Steve Harris flats that I'll probably never change, it just sounds 'right' through any amp I put it through. It really is the workhorse bass.

1985 Fuji-gen body, warmoth reverse jazz slim neck, bill lawrence pickups, and flats. It'll always be my main player.
  7. Sartori

Sartori

Sorta. I'll never sell my 1975 Rickenbacker 4001. It's just too good. It's tuned to standard, though, so I want another (newer, but more beat up) Rickenbacker to play in my doom metal band in the tuning of BEAD.
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

I thought so for a while. I was happy with my bass for years and whenever i went into a music store, i never found one i'd like to replace my current instrument with. Until i laid my hands on a dingwall.
    Now i think that i own a pretty good one, but there are a few out there that i'd actually like better. I can live with that. Until i have a few grand too much lying around and GAS kicks in ;-)
    Junk420 likes this.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of the 16 (or is it 17?) basses I own, one of them surely must be the ultimate. It can change on any given day, though.
  10. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

If you're ever in question, send me one of those things and I'll evaluate it for you.

FYI the process may take years.
  11. bh2

bh2

Yes... my 62 fretless...

[​IMG]

And my back up...

[​IMG]

Getting more gig time at the mo... I love it!
    interp, timobee4 and Tumbao like this.
  12. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Nope. My current instruments are excellent and do almost everything I need, but none of them are quite on the level that I forsee myself desiring in the future. I have been designing a bass in my head that will probably become my 'One' once I have the cash to commission it.
  13. Energy

Energy

If there's one thing I learned over the years then that there is no "ultimate" bass. There will always be a bass that is ultimater than the one I own.
    AADUNTOV likes this.
  14. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Im so picky eith every detail, I think Id have to make a custom one to get even close. I need a tiny flat neck, overpowered neck and bridge pickups, light weight, pointy body and head, neck thriugh, high scale, etc.
  15. Major Softie

Major Softie

Yes, but I think I'm wrong.
  16. Wallace320

Wallace320

I presently own 14 basses, some mine, some my brother's, some my son's.

I owned many more in the past, some relevant, some weak.

I now have a few peculiar basses, such as both 2009/2010 Yamaha Attitude limited II lava red and black Sheehan models, a nearly 20 yo strictly limited Trace Elliot T-bass (by Status) two mid '00 G&L 5ers: an excellent MIK G&L Tribute L2500 and a 3ts Custom bird's eye maple fingerboard L2500 I record with.

I also own two of the fanciest Ibanez ever: Btb7 and Btb686.

But as the holy grail of basses has to be the everlast Precision my absolute keeper is MIJ Edwards Pb83r
    It's a Vintage white nitro finished reissue of an ash body '74 Precision with a stock Seymour Duncan Spb2 and push/push serial/parallel option
    It has Gotoh Vintage open gear tuners (best Vintage style tuners I've ever experienced) and now a stainless steel bridge in place of the former nickel threaded saddle (with brass barrel)

Other than that it's completely stock and doesn't need anythin' more than that to operate. It's regularly tuned (E, A, D, G) and with no Hipshot detuner, really unusual for the ones knowin' me.

Thing is it's ok like that I love it and will pass it to my only son

Cheers,
    Wallace
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  17. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

No, I do love my 2 Ricks like nothing else, but the second Ibanez Releases a Fireman bass I'll buy 2.
  18. chris_b

chris_b

I have no idea if I'm done yet, but of my 3 basses I've owned the Fender P for 45 years, the Lakland 55-94 for 11 years and the Lull J5 for 4 years.

I'd be mildly interested in a 5 string Lull Jazz, for the right money, but really if I can't get the best sound out of what I currently own there's no point in buying anything else.
  19. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Seriously. Your poll is too limited, too "50-50", Such a thing as an "ultimate" bass is far too complicated a concept for a simple yes-no answer.
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I am very happy with all of my basses.
  21. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I'm doing quite all right with my Fender P... Wouldn't say it is 'ultimate' but it covers the bases quite well so I don't see myself buying another bass for some time. My last purchase was in 2009 even. I guess that counts for something...