Do you buy your clothes online?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

I hate shopping for new clothes, Andy good address to buy them online?
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Ive bought tshirts online. Ive thought about buying some of these fancy button up shirts online, but havent yet.
  3. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I buy t-shirts online. Shoes too, but only Vans and Doc Martens, since I know those are true to size. Most other stuff I try on to make sure it fits.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

LL bean is where I go for shirts and shoes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

What? You don't like shopping at Simon's (a home-grown Quebec company)?! ;) I think the only clothing I've bought on line was a winter hat. I'm too fussy with the fit of clothes to take any chances with anything else (unless it's something I've already tried on and I'm sure of the size).
  7. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

House of Pain or Ironville are the only places I trust when it comes to sizing. Being a 3x can be a real PITA @ times. But it's a problem I do enjoy having.
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Zappos for shoes. Everything else gets a closer inspection. Realistically, I don't buy much outside the occasional concert t shirt.
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

tshirts and sneakers sometimes
  10. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Sometimes, but mostly do shoes online. I buy custom suits online at indocheno.com

lowsound
  11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I get a lot of my clothes from Land's End. Good quality, reasonable prices, no hassle returns.
  12. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

I solved the problem of fearing the "fits" of things by buying almost exclusively from one store. Mine is American Eagle. They actually fit things generally according to the real size of a person - me, being average build and height, it works out perfectly. I used to try the department stores but the size Medium shirts would reach above my knee. No kid. By medium they must have meant, "oh, we're going to assume you're 6' tall...since only about 15% of guys are 6' tall."

Another reason I buy there is I run a racket reselling them. Fun stuff. Buy a ton online, keep what I want, give hot women I know gifts, then sell the rest. Win..ning.

So I would recommend shopping online if you either aren't picky, aren't joyful to go to the store and buy things, or have a way to ensure your fits are consistent.
  13. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen

If you're into high-end designer metro-sexual kewl clothes, there are some good deals to be had at Bluefly.
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I get a lot of my stuff from Lands' End. Good quality and customer service.
  15. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

I get a ton of band shirts that of course have to be ordered, but other than that, no. Being the tall skinny guy that I am, it's extremely hard to find pants that fit, and I have to be able to try them out first.
  16. line6man

line6man

I've bought shirts from Nerdytshirt.com, and pants from Amazon.
  17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

thanks guys for all the answers.
    Land's end seem perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.
    They have tall size also, that's perfect. I'm 6'1 but I have short legs. And it's hard for me to find shirt that are long enough.
    The prices are good.

Perfect!
  18. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

In the US, there is no requirement for standardization of sizes for ready to wear clothing. Something to keep in mind for online shopping is the return policy. That way if you get the garment and it doesn't fit, you'll be able to return it easily and get your money back or credit quickly. (Zappos and 6pm do this really well, which is why I buy shoes online from those companies.)

I worked in the garment industry for several years (at a factory that made lingerie and sleepwear) for very high end department stores. If the order came in for 6 S, 12 M, 4 L, and 2 XL, and we only had 10 M and 1 XL, we'd pull one additional S and L and tag those M and one additional L and tag it XL in order to fill the order. It's common practice. That's why you should try on every piece of clothing you buy. The rare exception to this practice are jeans/slacks/trousers that are sold by waist/length measurements. While I think they probably could resize to meet order, I don't think the companies who make these products do that as frequently as the companies who use S/M/L or ladies vanity sizing.
  19. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

will try it.
  20. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Lands End is good too but Bean's customer service is just incredible.

Bought a three season coat from them. When I got it the color was a little different than what was shown in the catalog. Not exactly hunter green, it had a bit of teal in it. But it was well made and fit perfect so I kept it.

Wore the hell out of that coat for probably ten years. My job took me into various industrial facilities and eventually the coat started to show it. Spots of paint, oil and grease stains, a few pinhole burns from welding slag.

Finally one day I got the "I won't be seen with you in public if you wear that" talk from my future ex so I dug out the Bean catalog and they still had that coat but in a true dark green.

I called to order it and told the person about how great the old coat was. Years of service, worn out but now in the color I loved.

She insisted I return the old coat and they would send me the new one for free. When I balked at that - didn't feel right about it. If the color was a real deal breaker I would have sent it back immediately she transferred me to her supervisor who also tried to get me to send the old coat back.

But that's typical of my experience with LL Bean.
  21. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I buy most of my clothes from Sierra Trading Post. The prices start off discounted, then they email out extra deals like an additional 35% off. They carry hundreds of brands, so to (mostly) solve the sizing problem I stick with just a few brands I know well, like Columbia and Carhartt.