1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do You Care About Whether or not I Care About What You Care About?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mellowinman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman

I know, that sounds cumbersome, but bear with me.

Do you care about whether or not I care about what you care about? And do you care about whether or not anyone else cares about what you care about? What about caring about not caring about things that you don't care whether or not anyone cares about?

Personally, I don't much care about caring about whether or not anyone cares about caring about anything that I do care about, but sometimes I find I do care just a little bit about caring about whether or not anyone doesn't care about caring about things I don't care about.

One thing:

When I was a kid, I had a naive, simple belief that when I truly didn't care about caring or not caring, I could express it by saying, "I COULDN'T CARE LESS."

THAT was a simple, declarative sentence, without a hint of irony. I literally couldn't care less!

So my friend Scott, when we were about twelve, is arguing with me about something, and he's being a turd, and he says, "I COULD CARE LESS."

I could care less?

Man, that whole thing set my world on edge. So you COULD care less? So you care SOME? What does that MEAN???

I was thrilled in my cognitive superiority over Scott, who wasn't the brightest boy, and I was certain he meant to say "I COULDN'T CARE LESS," but had heard it wrong, like Archie Bunker would do from time to time, and then I realized something that almost struck me dead right on the spot.

WHAT IF SCOTT WAS EMPLOYING IRONY????

Saying "I COULD CARE LESS" as a SARCASTIC DECLARATION, where the declarative phrase means the OPPOSITE of what it sounds like it means!!!

I immediately busied myself, not only not caring about whatever I had cared not to care about, but also making sure to not care about things I had always cared about, and reached a level of apathy that made me realize that not only couldn't I care less, but I had come all the way full circle, and truly COULD care less.

It was a gala day, and really, a gala day is about all I can handle.
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman

Oh yeah, this question was about MUSIC, so that's why it's in THIS forum.

Not caring about whether or not anyone cares about what I care about when I'm not caring about not caring about MUSIC.

Uh HUH.
  3. Nev375

Nev375

I could care less about this thread.

No really, I do care a little as evidenced by this response and just wanted to express that I'm capable of caring less. In fact, It would be smarter for me to.

Sadly, I'm not quite that smart. In fact, I'm kinda starting to care more.
  4. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

5. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

I like when people huff about "I could care less". I love using it sometimes just in the manner you describe.
  6. Renaissance

Renaissance

If a woodchuck...
  7. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    This topic was already covered in a thread about a month ago.

My answer now is the same as it was then. You can't control what other people say, do or think so why worry about it?
  9. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

I think that people who couldn't care less are just lazy. They could care less if they would just put a little effort into it.
  10. 4dog

4dog

11. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I went through this first when I was about six. I didn't want people to know if I cared whether or not the picture on my lunch box was showing when I carried it. Drove me nuts. Now I call this conundrum "compounding interaction".
  12. ma4rk

ma4rk

OP: you need a hug!
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman

You've obviously put quite a bit of thought into this. I'm curious though, why do you care how much effort people put into not caring less? Doesn't that mean you more or less care more?
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman

15. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I think I just had a stroke. Thanks. Not that you'd care.
  16. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I wish you didn't care at all, then I wouldn't have wasted 2 minutes of my life reading your post.
  17. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

I could care less but only if I was motivated and had a decent snack. Since this is not my thread I'm taking the lazy way... I couldn't care less, but only for this instance... usually I care more... more or less. Do you think that is care less or carelesness?

It doesn't take that much thought if you are a writer type
  18. mellowinman

mellowinman

And I truly do care that you care about that 2 minutes, but I am concerned that you don't care about the rest of the time that has been wasted.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Caring is sharing and vice-versa.
  20. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Ok, I gotta hand it to you man. That is a fantastic thread title and opening post. full marks 10/10. But I guess you don't really care about that anyway :p