Do you celebrate Valentines day?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Feb 5, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I don't know if it is celebrated in other countries but here in the U.S. it is a popular day to go out to dinner, buy flowers and chocolates in box shaped like a heart.
    My wife and I would rather say home and watch "The Ghost and Mr Chicken" or another romantic movie on February 14.
    The resturuants are crowded, the prices are higher and the quality of food and service usually goes down. We will celebrate the day before.
    I know some single people don't like it becuase it reminds them of their singleness. I heard someone say recently that Valentines Day is a good day to love people who could use a little attention. Give a single parent the night off by staying with her/his kids or anything else you can think of. Just look around there are plenty of opportunities.
    So what are going to do? Hit the town, "the Ghost and Mr Chicken", rock your bass or maybe even take your old aunt Hilda out for a meal. She could use a night out. ;)
  2. tplyons

tplyons

No... if it didn't pay my paycheck for two years I would care nothing for it.
  3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I hide on National Singles Shaming Day.
  4. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

I used to like Valentines Day.

Now I f***ing hate it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

The wife and I also go out the night before. Going to restaurants on the day is hectic and irritating and expensive. Not our idea of a relaxing romantic evening.
  7. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

How does one "celebrate" Valentines day?
    By getting laid???
    By running around and rubbing the fact that you have a mate into peoples faces who do not have a mate???
    I mean...seriously?
    Celebrate???
    I dunno man.

Just sayin'...
  8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I plan on cooking dinner for the girl and then downing a bottle of wine while watching a movie. In other words, just another day.
  9. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I'll get flowers for my wife. I get flowers for her at least once a week, so they won't be "special" that day, only more expensive. She will also get a card, but no night out, as I have to work that night.
  10. RS

RS Supporting Member

I have to unfortunately. After so many years, I am out of ideas. Help!
  11. ZenG

ZenG

The original meaning of Valentines Day was love between adult couples..

Now it's been turned into some kind of dorky celebration where everybody from kids to grandparents are supposed to send a card to each other requesting the receiver to be a "Valentine"...

Another catchy marketing scam......just like Halloween......totally assinine...

But yes......I'll be taking the wife out to dinner.....and she gets the flowers too.....and chocolates......
  12. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic

This is what we do too. It's a nice pleasant evening.
  13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

My wife and I are going to have a laid back night at home. We're going out to dinner the following night to a great steakhouse, in part courtesy of a gift certificate we got for Christmas.
  14. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Hmm... next Friday. Friday is when I get messed up, probably the same next week.
  15. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I also have band rehearsal that night.:bassist:
  16. elgecko

elgecko

I celebrate the St. Valentine's Day Massacre!

:bag:

:p
  17. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

We treat it more as a way to highlight the love we have for each other. I've started making my 3 year old daughter a little basket with cheap Target $1 spot stuff she'll love....new shovel for sand, stuffed unicorn, stickers, etc. My wife will make me a basket of craft beer and I'll do something small for her.

No dinners out or dozen roses for $119, just putting a little effort in to showing appreciation. It's not that we don't do random things all year, but ignoring V day seems off when you have a 3 year old that couldn't be happier about making glitter cards for her best friends.

If I was single I'd take my macbook to a romantic restaurant and watch Ong-Bak in it's entirety.
  18. stratovani

stratovani

Just another silly holiday co-opted by the Big Capitalist Machine to make a buck off people, much like any other holiday these days. I pay lip service to it, just to keep the peace between the missus and me.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Even though it didn't happen in America, I think it's still important we continue to show our support for all the courageous Valetiniens who died in their struggle for independence.
  20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

When I'm in a relationship, I have to. There's no choice in the matter.

When I'm single (like now), it just passes by without me noticing. ...Unless there's a thread about it in OT. I don't mind, though. If anything, it's a reminder of why I'm glad I don't have a girlfriend making me do crap I don't want to do and spend money I'd rather keep.

Screw you, Hallmark! I'm not a victim anymore! Hahahahahahaha!
  21. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    According to my girlfriend's annual reminders our anniversary is around then but she is kind enough to allow me to shower her with a trip to the local IHOP on the nearest available weekend rather than that specific day.