1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you ever headbang whille playing at Church ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Do you ever headbang whille playing at Church ? I found myself doing this several times on a tune I was really getting into , I was sitting down whille playing so I am not sure how many people saw me.

2. t.dammit

t.dammit

i think so long as you refrain from shooting the horns to the congregation at the end of songs, you should be okay.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

i don't think i really headbang, but i do get some major head movement going. i do move my body a bit with the tunes, while staying in my small area of the stage.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Nah, not really. Unfortunately, we don't have a whole lot of rock in our music. Been working on that ever so slowly...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fryBASS

fryBASS

LOL MM has Condi as his avatar :D :D :D :D

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Don't laugh too loud.....she COULD be the first women President....(if she would run!)

8. bassksun

bassksun

I started swaying during a very solemn moment. The spirit moved me. It was all about the spirit...no reason to worry. Spirit is supposed to move you!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

10. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Yes.............. it's something I'm barely aware of at the time.

I wonder how people keep from doing it. These songs move me........... and I tend to act accordingly.

11. vindy500

vindy500

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Being neither a headbanger nor churchgoer, no.

13. RWP

RWP

I banged my head in church once. :D

14. basspraiser

I see we agree....good to know that...

15. basspraiser

I am not sure if I would say "head bang" but I do move a little while playing - as others have said, it is hard not too during a real moving song....I sit down on a stool (not the most comfortable so moving is sometimes a neccesity!- need to buy a cushion!) so I cannot move too much....

only one thing - I need to keep from closing my eyes or I lose my place and the Praise Leader's cues!!!

16. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

:help: Thats so scary :rollno:

ummm, my theory is that it doesn't matter if you vote in a man or a woman , you still end up with a stinkin politician.:bag:

17. billjr

billjr

I move to all music. Some of the slow songs get me swaying, while the faster songs getting me rocking my head, body and legs. My head and shoulders always seem to move.

Once, we were playing "Blessed Be Your Name," at practice, and after the first verse, which is pretty mellow, we started building through the bridge, and then when we hit the first note of the chorus we all started hoping up and down together. It was just really cool how we all did it spontaneously. I wish we had an electric guitar, it would have really rocked.

18. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul Supporting Member

This is classic sig material. :D :D :D

19. Speedskier241

Speedskier241

Agreed!!Iv'e been activly playing on church platforms for some time now. I am in the middle of studying IHOP Harp and Bowl Movement.They say that anything that attracts too much attention to yourself in not such a good idea,, They speak on (3 common expressions of exhbitionism) and one of them is on *Overly animated ministy styles*.. Again though, if it is a sunday morning,, or for my church,,a saturday evening service then,a low key image is probably the best thing. I'm very lucky where I am because our congregation is very lively and we DO push the envelope when it comes to high energy music. There is a time and place for everything though. Unfortunatly, the modern day Christian Church has been under alot of,,, control freaks who do NOT want change and because of that, Christian music has,, well,really kinda sucked in alot of ways because of leadership individuals who just can't let go of insecurities,Pride ETC. So the Church has been given a bad name in some areas. Then one wonders why the secular realm of music is so cutting edge to the point of almost saturation really and the church music is way behind still writing basic songs with simple verse- chorus -verse old cowboy chords. This is all very debateable of course and a matter of personal opinion. I myself have put alot of time into figuring out music ministry in the Christian Church and as well, I never in my life of 20 + years in the secular scene, have I seen such control issues with music leaders in the Church. Alot of Churches are very close minded to new waves of music and they all put "God in a box". I very much would love to hear anyone elses,, mature, constructive opinion on this.

20. sk8terguy316

sk8terguy316

I agree with something stated here. Often times Christian music sucks and is boring. I used to play at a church and would stick to mainly roots fifths and an occasionaly fill. Often times I would make suggestions about sprucing the music up and adding a bit more "funkiness" and dancibility to some of the songs, still keeping slow songs of course, but making some very danceable songs. Everytime I mentioned something of this they did not want to. This some what frustrated me. Often times they would discuss how the crowd does not get involved in the music enough, what better way to get a crowd involved then to make them feel a groove and dance?

During Christmas they always want to do christmans songs so, in addition to all the slow boring normal christams songs I suggested "This Christmas" by Donny Hathaway if any of you are familiar with that tune you will know it's pretty happenin'. Well of course they didn't want to do it.

I always think that many people think of it as a chore to go to church and that they do so by religious duty. The way I see it is why not let loose and enjoy the music and dance and have a good time while you're there. Also the church always wants to introduce new people to the faith to experience Jesus. Well, if one person comes and it's boring they will be reluctant to ever go again. If the music is good, though they may consider coming back again.

21. Plinkerton

Plinkerton

I make sure I wear my Bad Religion shirt.

Nothing like a crossed out crucifix to get the jam going... :eek: