Do you hate this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Precision101, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Precision101

Precision101

I don't know if it's just me but I hate letting other people use my instruments. I keep my instruments clean bright and sounding nice but when I let somebody use it for an hour there's fingerprints all over and the strings deaden. Any other fellow bass players hate this?
  2. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Haha, I think I might have the opposite "problem".

I play LaBella flats... the first thing that happens when I let someone else play my bass is, they complain how dead sounding it is :p
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Nope, not an issue for me. My basses don't show fingerprints and I like my strings kind of dead.
  4. Precision101

Precision101

I use rotosounds and love the brightness. I always wipe my bass down to save the clean and brightness (no OCD) If I had flats is be like "take it" but I can't afford dead rounds!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joedog

Joedog

Well after years of hosting blues jams, no, I got pretty used to it. Although I must say, the GREAT majority of players were respectful and careful. Of course I rarely brought my best gear to jams. I kind of liked hearing my own stuff from out in the room! It actually helped me dial it in better!
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Whenever someone plays my bass I get complaints about the action being too low to play. All they get is clank and clunk, which really frustrates them lol.

Oh, and 'these strings feel weird', flats aren't en vogue around here...

Both keeps people away, apparently my tastes are too special. On the other hand I can barely play another person's bass without getting cramps because they have an action of like 4mm. Store basses are especially awful.
  8. Precision101

Precision101

The problem with my gear is that the only person to make it sound actually good is me. I have the action set so low because my finger style is so light and whenever I hear somebody else pick it up they are plucking harder and I just hear a bunch of clank. It just doesn't sound right and besides they can't stand with it. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389553523.849346.jpg . If you notice my strap button is set on the opposite horn. I modded my p basses for my comfort.
  9. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

I don't let anyone play my gear. No one gets to ever play my bass. I may let them use my speaker cab, but not the head.
    If I let someone use my bass or amp and if anything happened, amp or bass got damaged I would have to kill them. So easier just to say no.
  10. Precision101

Precision101

This one guy used my bass and he played punk. I got the bass back and it sounding like an upright bass. and he was complaining that the input jack was messed up and he was yelling at me! I just flipped him off took my bass and cleaned it off. Never again after that. I had take off the pickguard and make sure everything was okay. He loosened the jack up so bad he must of been shaking the bass all over the place.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

That's the best part!
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I never let anyone use my gear. I might let them try my basses and rig if I am there with them but my basses, amps and cabs do not go anywhere without me.

I have 2 very close friends whom I have known for 40 year. I would let them borrow a bass If needed because I trust them and they have the financial capability to replace them if anything happened.
  13. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't let other people use my instruments. I don't want to and I see no need for it.

I have many times lent other music equipment to help out, from cables up to a complete PA. It is however reluctantly as I know some simply don't treat loaned gear well, and too often I have not even gotten a thank you for the help. A few times I have had to hunt down gear that's not even returned, so I'm just fed up with that.
  15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Any time I go where there might be someone needing to borrow a bass I take one of my more beat up MIM's and let it be the pass around pack.
  16. delta7fred

delta7fred

I will happily let anyone (that I trust to treat them with respect) play any instrument of mine. They are a tool to do a job with not a priceless artefact.

How are they going to deaden the strings faster than I do, and on my instruments a few extra fingerprints are not going to be noticed.
  17. pfox14

pfox14

Nobody gets to play my bass. Not nobody, not no how.
  18. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I've had too many pieces get damaged or 'go missing' to loan out gear anymore. I may let someone play my bass if I'm standing right there, but that's about the only situation where I'd be OK with it.
  19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

If I know you, and you play bass and you're at my gig, odds are you won't have much choice but to come up and play a few tunes.

We used to do a pretty regular gig at a hotel, and random people from out of town would get pressed into service. There was this 70 something jazz drummer from Brazil that was mind blowing!

If the bass were worth more than a couple of weeks pay, then I might get all anal about it, but I've never had any issues.
  20. delta7fred

delta7fred

Reading the other posts on this thread I better qualify my last post.

I have never played anywhere where I was expected to provide a bass for a random stranger and if I did I would probably take my Stingray clone strung B to D, that would sort the men from the boys.

Most of my musician friends I have known for at least 20 years and would trust with any of my gear, as they would theirs with me. I did lend out my 71 Gibson SG Special to a friend for a few months for a recording project, never lost a minute of sleep over it. It came back spotlessly clean with a new set of my favourite strings on it.
  21. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

The only person I will let touch my instruments is my band's guitarist because he's as much of a clean freak as I am. A few months ago I bought an 80's-era Kramer guitar from him that was immaculate. It was nice not having to take it apart and de-gunk it, which is what I do with most used instruments I buy. I don't understand how musicians can spend so much money on gear and not bother to wash their hands before playing. Some of the stuff I buy is so cruddy that I don't want to touch it without rubber gloves.