Do you have a common fill?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by gard0300, Feb 19, 2013.

1. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Do you find yourself using a common fill (run,etc)? Do you use it as a crutch, do you actually like the way it sounds or is it just a habit. I listened to recording of my self at practice and never realized how much I use the ole octave, seventh, fifth, fourth roll down. Not really sure how I feel about it. They were mainly all improv sessions, so I'm hoping it was just a subconscious thing.

2. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

If Im going from playing on a chord to the Fifth of that chord ( D to A), I use root, hammer/pull off on the 2, Hammer/pull off on the 6th below(tonally lower) and then land the 5th below on the chord change. Its pretty easy and works well. if you do it right, it sounds like boodadaboodadaboodaboom Haha

3. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Nice sound effects. Do you do it consciously or sub-consciously?

4. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

I believe I have found my next signature!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

I have two... And I can't describe them 'cause i don't know what the hell I'm doing most of the time!

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

1, 5, 1. With a little tickle on the 5 and the octave. It's brainless, and it works no matter what. That's kind of the brainless part.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    About a dozen...stole 'em from Pino, Nathan, AJ, and other usual suspects..

9. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Consciously, I tend to be pretty minimalistic in my approach to Bass playing. Like letting the band play the music and let my Bass play the band.

Once upon a time, I was guilty of playing too many fills, or something technical just because I could. Probably impressed some kids at Guitar center, but it never fit the music as well as when I toned it down some.

10. jaywa

jaywa

Not a fill per se but I like to do little down slides and glisses a la Joe Osborn in "Superstar" "For All We Know" and "Close to You." For the same reason I tend to go upper register for vocal support in quiet passages. Osborn is one of my all time heroes and I try to pay him homage when I can... Within the context of the song of course.

People tell me my playing is lyrical and singer friendly so apparently I'm copping a little of his vibe, anyway.