1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you have a "destiny bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broadstbully22, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Have you ever felt like everything just worked out and the stars lined up and you found the perfect bass for you. I have not been playing as long as most of you and I have at first didn't really know what I liked and also didn't have the money to just try things out. So I guessed mostly based on this site and trying things at stores. But tell you the truth I don't think I even knew what I was looking for, I think I found it by accident, but now as I have gotten better and I think Ive started to understand more. The more I understand the more I'm beginning to think I got lucky and its kinda funny how money freed up at the right time and how everything worked out. I have one bass that I think I will never get rid of and is probably the one thing that I would grab if our house caught fire. Lol.
  2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Rickenbacker.

I've played about ten or so over the years and there has only been one that I haven't completely loved. I think they're made for me
  3. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I love this bass. And how I ended up getting it and how the money was right everything.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

My frankenhoppus is close. I may look into a fretless version.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Very nice Jazz!

I just picked up a new Fodera and if I spent as much time working overtime as I did buying, selling and trading.... and figuring out how to swing such an expensive bass.... I would likely have been able to buy 2!

Actually probably not, but I worked my ass off for months to find my dream bass and it is damned exciting when the hard work pays off.:hyper:
  6. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I've had that sort of thing happen a few times, so I understand the feeling. I've only kept one bass for more than five years and that my first one because I was poor. However, I've had an interesting series of events that culminated in the bass rig I have now, which is very close to a dream rig for me.
    For me it wasn't a spotlight shining on a bass and a chorus of angels necessarily, but nevertheless an interesting series of steps and events that led me to a pretty nice place, gearwise. And I learned a lesson or three in the process.
  7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing The Artist Formerly Known As Edward G. Gold Supporting Member

I takes experience to know it when you see it. On rare occasions, it comes looking for YOU and you have enough sense to hold on. Congrats.
  8. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90 Supporting Member

I did.

I have always wanted a MM bass and just never wanted to deal with the outrageous evil bay for one. Well I was going to get my chest tattoo done the past weekend and went by a out of town (local to where my artist is) music store. Well they were actually closed because the owner was in the hospital (bless his soul) and luckily a woman who teaches came out and invited me in if I just wanted to look. We talked for 30 mins while i looked at everything and eventually the owners daughter came in to open up the shop. Well I was about to leave when I saw it!!!! A 1972 Daphne Blue MM that was more Aqua and off white due to some wear. The hardware is a bit rusty and the pots needed tightening. I had to have it and haggled a good price with the daughter (too bad she wasnt that cute...) but I took it home after a 4 hour tattoo session and it is mine all mine. Everything is original and in great shape according to my local guitar shop. One small nick in the rosewood fretboard and the discoloration but I LOVE HER. She sounds great with Fender strings. I named her Daphne haha
  9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

maybe, found my favorite bass at a pawn shop when i was not even looking for basses. so i guess it was destiny.
  10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

What's a 1972 MM bass?
  11. littlebooner

littlebooner

It is funny how things work out. I spent probably 10 years and 3 basses before i found my G & L L2500. I always had a dream of other basses, but in the end it took that long for me to mature enough as a musician to be able to make the right choice.
  12. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Killing my GAS for any other 5'er is my Warmoth Gecko.
  13. Mike M.

Mike M.

If such a thing excists...that is, a bass looking for you...then that's what happened with my Am Std Jazz bass I bought in December.

I go to my favorite local music store about once a month because it's fun to try things out. Last October I went in and found a new Am Std Jazz bass. Mind you I wasn't looking for one (yeah, right!) but I played it for about 20 minutes, put it back and thought that some lucky person is going to end up with a very sweet playing bass. It blew me away as to how good and how effortless it played. Went back in November and it was still there so I played it again. Kept thinking this is too good to be true and that it's everything I wanted but never really found. Put it back, went home only to find myself thinking about it.

Went back in December and it was still there. Gave it a real good looking over and was shocked to see that while it was brand new, it was also a 2009 model and I never once noticed it before. It was flawless! No marks, scratches or dents anywhere! Had the "American Standard" sticker on the pickguard and the warranty card was there with all the case candy. I then grabbed a few other Jazz basses and did a comparison for close to two hours, going back and forth between basses. In the end there was NO comparison. This bass was the finest playing bass I've ever found in my life, so I bought it. Black, white pickguard and a maple fretboard and it sounds excellant.

So yeah, it seems like this bass was waiting for me since 2009.
  14. Beano_z

Beano_z

Not yet with a bass, but had it with a guitar, to be honest I didn't know at the time I was going to find this and what exactly I was buying. This is a 2003 custom shop '56 strat with a very light relic, and in 2003, when I bought it, I'd just heard of the Fender custom shop, just knew they use nice wood and had great attention to detail. So I bumped into this guitar on a trip, I happen to be staying in this hotel opposite to a local music store, one morning I just walked in to do the usual looking around, and found this behind a glass window in the shop, up to that point I still didn't realize what I saw. Teh next morning it really sunk in so I went for a test drive, like the sound and bought it.

The thing is, every since, I've not bough another guitar (this has nothing to do with me being a bass player). Even I'm GAS'ing for a tele or an esquire for quite a while, I never found another one that spoke to me. This guitar has been with me ever since, went everywhere I moved and I still play it almost daily. Even though I have more expensive instruments, this is the one I love most.

Here is it on this picture on the right, I just bought this (sort of) matching P-Bass so she won't be lonly when I'm out of town...

[​IMG]
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Destiny, fate, karma, divine miracle, wishing, taro, ouija, mojo-han, righteous astrological alignment, side walk cracks, black cats, the numbers, the bones, the clouds, an evil clown—all determined my instrument choice, maybe.
  16. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

My first bass was a Peavey G-Bass that I got for $300 new (old stock). It was 7 years ago & the only bass I would never sell. Just simply amazing.
  17. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90 Supporting Member

Sorry, I shouldn't be so lazy.

Its a 1972 Fender Musicmaster

Attached Files:

• MM.jpg
      MM.jpg
      File size:
      118.9 KB
      Views:
  18. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

It's usually evil clowns for me. They can be very convincing.
  19. Titania

Titania

Me too.

First one I tried was a 79 4001. Picked it up, plugged it in and it was like angels came down and sang to me. Wasn't ready to commit yet, tried a mid-90's 4001 that was beat to absolute hell. It had had a very rough life. Tried it and loved it. Went out and found myself a 2012 4003 and that was it for me. Love at first pluck.

Call me a bass heretic, but I've never yet found a bass more comfy to me that that 4003.
  20. Wallace320

Wallace320

geddy lee rush bass birthday july 29th.jpg

Glenn Hughes with Rickenbacker.jpg
    Geddy (Lee) & Glenn (Hughes) pretendin' they can't remember

Cheers,
    Wallace