1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Do you have a 'fool on a stool' bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agent77, Oct 25, 2013.

1. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I used to back a singer/songwriter at acoustic coffee house jams. First I used a P-bass because it was the only bass I owned. Then I used a Musicmaster and IMO it worked great. The Musicmaster is now gone, but I have a Mustang as a replacement.

Since I'm almost to the point of being tired of the band BS, I'm looking forward to going back to just playing coffee house gigs for fun, and pawning all my gear except for 1 or 2 basses and a combo amp. While the Mustang is a great all-around bass, and fits well in many situations, part of me longs for the quirkiness of a Musicmaster for the coffee house scene.

This isn't really a "what bass should I buy" thread, just wondering if anyone has a go to bass for acoustic jams.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Stating the obvious once again, I know, but a DB is a go-to bass for me in situations like that.

Regards
    Sam
  3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I bought a nice acoustic bass for my acoustic duo but I got tired of feedback hassles and I can get a pretty similar tone on an electric with proper eq'ing. Plus you have to plug in to be heard with other unplugged instruments so what's the use. I sold it and got a DB and have never looked back.
  4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

If it's really an acoustic jam (i.e., genuinely unplugged) I like to bring my Rob Allen MB-2 fretless, because through a very small amp I can get it to blend nicely with steel string guitars while supporting the bottom end and providing a woody, organic vibe.

But if it's an I-don't-know-what-to-expect/gotta-be-prepared-for-anything kind of situation I'll usually just bring a passive Jazz bass.