Do you have name(s) for your bass or bass'?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Jan 19, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I have a Sterling by Music Man. After a very long time of deciding what to name by bass, I named her Mandy. Based off a my little "kindergarten girlfriend." I still wonder what that girl is doing now...I'd look her up on FB but I don't remember her last name HAHA! Anyway, do you have names for your instruments? And how did you decide on those names?
  2. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

My first Squier Jazz Bass was named Baby after the Ted Nugent song "Stranglehold" (which was the first song I ever played on it).
    My Ibanez acoustic bass is named Isabelle (which sounds like Ibanez).
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Tons of threads on this topic.

I have never and will never name my basses. They already have names: Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, Spector 4 LX, Alembic Epic, etc. To me, giving them other names is kind of silly and pointless.
  4. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

My p-bass, Bessie. Jazz Bass, Beula. I've yet to name my Bass VI though...
  5. Frohman

Frohman

Pheobe the Fender P, Scarlet the (blue) fretless jazz and Cleopatra, my Music Man Bongo. I have no shame.
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1
  7. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

I name my basses after their 'personality' or whatever function they serve.

My travel bass is cheaper short scale and used mostly for practice. So it gets a name that (to me) sounds like a short girl with loose morals (cheap, get it?) that lets you do weird things with her in bed (practice!) Marisa is her name.

My fretless acoustic. I bought just because I wanted a fretless to play other than my warwick. Also a cheaper model, it's kind of like that hot girl at the bar you know you could get with (the warwick) but end up with her less attractive friend (cheap fretless acoustic) The acoustic looks great and even sounds okay, so assigning a name to her made me think of parents who tried to give their daughter a pretty name but it's just mediocre. Gentlemen, Cassidy Rogers.

To the guy that said "Tons of threads on this topic." Talkbass.com is literally just the same topics over and over again. Show your bass!, Opinion!, Help!, etc... Get over yourself :)
  8. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

I have a blonde Precision that is unofficially named "Blondie" (real creative, I know) and a deep red Precision named Ron Burgundy.
  9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

No, I don't. I usually just refer to them by brand or model name.

Also, I don't see the bass as being very feminine, so I never got why so many guys choose girly names from the 1950s for their bass. It's like naming a tuba Darlene. It just doesn't fit.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

It does, if you know the Darlene I know.:rolleyes: But, no, I don't "name" mine, either. Some of mine have - nicknames, I guess. The Rickenbackers are "The Tone Twins" sometimes, and the Kramer 450B is occasionally referred to as "Lucifer's Hammer". Then there's "Ol' @#**#@!" (Gretsch Broadkaster- it has numerous problems I'm still trying to fix). But, names? No; why bother? They're like cats; they never come when you call them, anyhow. :D
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Naaaah...

Naming an inanimate object usually indicates some sort of personal attachment. My bass is a tool used to do a certain job, not a substitute on which to bestow the affection I might show wifey. That level of attachment to an inanimate object is not healthy.

It's like naming a hammer or combination wrench.

Oh and BTW if you name your bass do you also name your cords, heads, cabs, etc.?
  12. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I really like my bass but it's not a pet or a girl or anything other than a bass, so no naming. I did have a tuba named Mandy only because at some time it seems a girl named mandy scratched her name on the bell with a really pointy tool. Yeah I know a tuba? Yes I still play occasionally. :)
  13. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Could you guys repeat that? I can't hear over your elitism
  14. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I affectionately call my bass "The Destroyer," but that's kinda cheating since its model is called a Destroyer II and is printed with that name on the headstock. It does have somewhat of a nickname as the Valentines Massacre bass with its red color and heart shaped tuners though.
  15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, the name or model number the manufacturer/builder gave it. I know, boring.

I modded a bass once, that's the only one worthy of a new name - I call it "Piece of ****". :)
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

No reason to be offended...
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I do, but mostly in my head. When I talk about them to other people, I realize that no one else has any idea what the names mean.

My custom bass from John Toon I call "Looney Toon," because of the luthier and because it looks... kinda looney.

My Yamaha BB415 I call "Big Red" because it's big and, er... red.

My Carvin SB4000 I call "Def Cats," which is because it was paid for by 2nd-place consolation-prize money from being on Jeopardy and that was a particularly stupid answer I gave to one question. "What is Def Cats?" is inscribed on the truss rod cover.

I also have a black Washburn AB10 which doesn't really have a name. My mom suggested "Darth Vader," but nothing's really stuck.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

+1

Unless you are B.B. King. To each his own, but I wouldn't do it myself.
  19. Stormer

Stormer

My Jazz bass is also called "blondie" due to its colour. My pbass is "Sigourney", because, like Sigourney Weaver, its not a stunner but it is damn good at what it does.
  20. TheOxRocks

TheOxRocks

I have nicknames for my basses:

The Icon 4 is the White Tiger because of its quilted maple top and natural finish.

The LB70, which is red with black burst, is named Clinton after the Bronx high school in which I teach. Red and black are the school colors. Apropos of nothing, got nice compliments about the bass from both the outgoing and incoming principals at last June's graduation, where I backed the school chorus on a couple of songs.

My Icon 5 had some design input from my wife - she liked both the sunset burst color and the flame maple top she saw on a guitar in the Carvin catalogue, so I got both for my 5-string build. I named the bass Eternal Flame to honor my wife - that song by the Bangles had been our wedding dance in 1993.