1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you let other folks step on your pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SolarMan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I have this thing about other people stepping on my effects pedals. It drives me nuts!

All I can think about is the doggy doo doo and myriad garbage collected on the soles of their shoes.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Do you clean your shoes prior to stomping them yourself?

3. EricssonB

EricssonB Supporting Member

No, but I know where my shoes've been. Other folks' shoes are disease.

4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I don't let other people touch my stuff, as much as possible. So, no.
    As far as dirty shoes go, pedals are made to be stepped on. I don't see the problem.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

The dirt wouldn't be the issue for me, it's that I don't want other people controlling my effects. Unless it's a dedicated sound tech, and my band doesn't have one of those.

7. russpurdy

russpurdy

I'll occasionally loan a pedal out to one particular person that I know would take care of it or replace it without hassle if there were any issues. Otherwise, no, I don't like other people using my effects. I'd rather loan out an amp or guitar.

8. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

I let anyone who is around me and feels like stomping, stomp away. As was already stated, these bad boys are designed to be stepped on.

Yes, I too know where my shoes have been and I also understand the disease of other peoples shoes but... really? Do you use public restrooms? The likelihood of your shoes being cleaner than any random persons is slim to none. Unless of course they had just walked through the doo.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote

No, I'm not cool with that. First, even though it sits on the floor and is designed to be stepped on, some parts of some pedals are NOT meant to be stepped on, and can break. At the very least, you step on the wrong knob or switch, you've tweaked the settings.

This happens from time to time when sound guys are running around the stage furiously setting up mics and such, and they come around my pedal board, I tell them stay clear. Same with the guys who hang our banner (they always show up last for some reason).

10. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I don't understand the concept of this post....other people stepping on my pedals?
    Why, when and where would I expect that to occur? When I'm playing I am the only one behind my pedal board.

11. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

NO! :mad:

The idea of spending HOURS tweeking all your pedals and EQing to get that perfect sound, just to let some random jackass mess it all up in an instant. :scowl:
    Even if you tell them not to touch the knobs, they always do.

12. Timmah

Timmah

My guitard and I operate each other's wah pedals on stage sometimes. I don't generally worry about the mud.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yup. All the time. I have way more pedals than I ever use so I lend them out frequently, especially my guitar pedals.

I would find it odd if my guitarist came over mid-jam and started stomping on my pedals but I would probably be more confused and amused than enraged.

14. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

OCD---it doesn't have to make sense to other people, it just has to make sense to us, amirite?

I'm not making fun of you. I totally know where you're coming from.

15. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

Of course I let other people try out my pedals, how else would they be able to try them to know if they want to get something similar?

Not everyone has access to nice pedals at music stores (such as here, in New Brunswick) so anyone I meet that wants to try something out, I let them. I know how crappy it is to order a pedal without trying it first, so I like to help out.

To each his own though.

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

A bit of a non-issue for me, there is no reason whatsoever for someone else to step on my pedals, particularily not the pedals on my pedal board.

If I were to lend a pedal to someone, it would of course not be an issue, the pedals are made to be stepped on and I don't have any phobias about germs or dirt. My shoes are no cleaner than the next guy's.

17. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Nah, doesn't bother me at all. After all these years, someone can come up and fiddle with all the knobs and tweak whatever they want, and I could get it dialed back in easily enough. And as far as breaking the pedals: if they break from someone merely stepping on one, then it needed to get culled from the herd for being weak. If someone is abusive and breaks something, then that's a conversation we'll need to have.

18. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Yeah, sort of wondering where this is coming from... In general, no problem, but while I was actually playing a song, no, that would bug me a bit.

But I have never had to deal with this issue- no one has ever *wanted* to step on my pedals just to do it. I did have a sound guy put his soda down on stage, and I eyed it warily, and he was spazzing out running around, and sure enough he knocked his soda over onto my pedals about 30 seconds later. I really lit into him - I told him to leave his f**king drinks back by the sound board from now on - he apologized well into the 2nd set, even after getting some bar naps and cleaning/drying them up pretty well right after it happened.

19. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Define other folks?

My guitar player, my brothers (both play bass/guitar), and other musician friends can have at it. The drunk friend of a friend doesn't get within 6 feet of my gear.

Poo on shoes? I tend not to put my pedals in my mouth.

20. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

"Touch my stuff & I'll kill ya"
    ~ Francis Soyer

21. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I don't go around licking my pedals or anything, so I don't really care much where other people's shoes have been. But I can't imagine why anyone would want to step on my pedals, and if someone did it during a gig it would probably bug me, just the basic intrusion into my gear.