Do you listen to bands in lenguages you don't understand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chilepunkbass, Mar 3, 2014.

1. chilepunkbass

chilepunkbass

Thing is, a lot of my friends listen to music in english but don't speak a word of it. I just didn't get how you could like music that you can't know what they're talking about, until I heard this

It's possibly one of the catchiest ska songs I know...but it's in euskera or basque. I love the band nontheless, and like half of their songs are in spanish and half in basque or euskera.
    So anyway they quikly became one of my favorite bands (hell, I bought their first record on vinyl just yesterday :hyper:).
    So what do you guys think?
    post examples, why you like it why not and all that
  2. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

A fair bit. Lots of French language stuff is available in Canada. We have a local festival, Sunfest, which brings performers from all over the world. I've purchased CD's in Spanish, Italian, and several African languages I couldn't even name.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

I do. In some ways, I prefer it. It prevents me from preconceived notions resulting from lyrical content and allows me to focus on just the music.
  4. electracoyote

electracoyote

I can read Spanish. I can not speak it well; creating novel sentences is still a challenge.

Consequently, I also can not understand it very well when I hear it spoken. Too fast for my ear still.

But I love me some Spanish-language music. All types, so much good stuff, it's like another world.

Music. The universal language.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

I've never really been one for lyrics in the first place. I listen to a lot of Swedish, German, French, Italian, African, Hindi, and Japanese music but most of it is instrumental and when there are lyrics they're usually in English.
  7. dalkowski

dalkowski

I've always enjoyed Cocteau Twins -- does that count?

Seriously, in any language it's about the overall sound for me.
  8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Me, either. I'm more concerned that the vocals sound good with the music. Most of the time I could care less what the actual lyrics are. Over half of the music I listen to in English I can't understand the lyrics, so listening to lyrics in a foreign language doesn't distract me.
  9. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Yeah, I listen to music in French on occasion (although I do speak/understand French to a reasonable degree), and also stuff like Myrath, who is actually quite good. Their lyrics are mainly in English but they have sections in Arabic. Nice proggy metal, all things considered.
  10. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    Los Amigos Invisibles (my spanish fairly week)
  11. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yes. Pretty frequently. African, Turkish, Arab, Portuguese - all of those recently.
  12. ksihawk7

ksihawk7

I have no knowledge of Italian or Swedish but I listen to a lot of Area International Pop Group and Kebnekajse. I just love the music.
  13. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

+1
  14. JimK

JimK

The Beatles singing in German...or French?
    :)

I have a few Latin-Jazz/Afro Cubano albums...some in Spanish...a couple of Brasilian Jazz/Pop things, too, in Portuguese.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

All the time from all around the world. Truthfully, I don't even pay attention to what English speakers are talking about, I just like the melodies.
  16. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Absolutely. I agree with the above comment about appreciating it better (sometimes) without knowing the meaning.

Once I had the experience of hearing an English version of an album, done around the same time and by the same vocalist as the original, of an album I had first heard in Italian many times (Fetus by Franco Battiato) without quite knowing what the words meant (maybe I picked out some words here and there). I laughed out loud, it was strangely disappointing in comparison.
  17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

anything sung in an ancient tongue is always intrigueing!
  18. pklima

pklima

19. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

I like Seu Jorge - but I don't speak portuguese...
  20. wideload

wideload

No, but I watch the hot babes on Univision with the sound off! :)
  21. drews.anderson

drews.anderson

some Swedish, some Danish, some Finnish, some Japanese... I used to listen to British and American bands, long before I learned English...