1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you own a Squier *Standard* Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RufusB, Dec 25, 2012.

1. RufusB

RufusB

I'm wondering what the bass looks like with the scratchplate off. Would it be possible to take the scratchplate off, or is the routing visible?
    Reply with pics if possible. Thanks!

2. Red Rover

Red Rover

I used to have a Squier standard Jazz but unfortunately I can't recall what the routing looked like. You could just take it off yourself and check. It's just a handful of screws. If she be ugly then screw it back on.

3. RufusB

RufusB

Thanks for the reply Red Rover. Anyone else?

4. tomnomnom91

tomnomnom91

I have one, but it's been years since I took the scratchplate off. Don't take my word for it, but as far as I recall the routing wasn't visible.

Edit: I thought I should point out that mine's a 1996 Korean model.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Disclosures:
    No affiliations
    Even the Vintage Modified (and some Fenders) have routes you would not want to see without a pickguard. Best bet is to find a PG in a color that suits you. I considered wood but ended up going with tort (mostly because of cost).

Even if clean you still have to do something with teh screw holes. I ended up going with a clear PG on my stingray and for the control plate just put the screws back in the wood.

7. mack_avz

mack_avz

I own one. I'll post pics of it asap!

8. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

They might not all be the same. I have to VM's and One has nice routing and the other one has the big open route.

9. unclebass

unclebass

i have a squier standard jazz bass, 2007. i don't remember if the wiring is visible, but the hole for the pickup is almost large enough to put a stingray humbucker pickup in. i have an antique burst and it would have been beautiful to leave the pickguard off, but not with a gaping hole in the center.

10. RufusB

RufusB

Thanks for all replies, looks like I'll be buying a pickguard.
    Looking forward to the pics, mack_avz

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I changed the pickguard of a 2008 Squier Standard Jazz a ways back. If memory serves correctly there were no exposed wires or routing. It was all kept neatly under the chrome control plate. All there was underneath the pickguard was the finish and the screw holes.

I've read about some people taking the pickguard off and then putting the screws back in. What color is your finish? If it's black or some other dark color, you could get a set of black pickguard screws and thread them into the holes. I got a set of 40 Ernie Ball screws and they fit just fine.

12. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I have seven of the VM Squier Jazz. All but one of them have one long rout that goes from the bridge pickup and under the control plate. The other one has one rout for each pickup and then a rout for the control plate. Bottom line: they both need the pickguard on to cover them. Great basses, though!

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have had probably 15-20 Squier Standard Jazz's ... up until about 2007-8 they have NO channel routing (to control cavity), but do have an enlarged neck pup route ... I always looked for them between 2000 and 2006 generally, and was always safe with the no channel route, and they also came with the better machines, virtually the same as used on MIM Standards, and the Highway Series basses (the ones with the rounded bottomes, not flat) ... I ALWAYS used my SqStands without the pickguard ... easy way to take 1/4 lb off the bass, and generally the p/g's were less than ideal quality ... I still have 2 of the SqStands that I had purchased .. one that somebody had sanded all the paint off and did a terrible stain job on .. I have further carved it up as a test bed, but I have no plans on selling that anyway, and it was my very first Squier Standard, that I was so impressed with for such an inexpensive bass, that it led me on a long road to purchasing MANY ... and the other is actually a sub 8lb bass, with an alder body, the same thickness as an American Vintage (and the current Road Worns) ... there were some very good basses that came along in that now discontinued Standard line .. and they were totally dismissed for the most part by the BP public at large ... for all intents and purposes, the Squier Standard line morphed into the now Vintage Modified line in may ways ...

Edit to add: .. I forgot to mention, that the newer ones I purchased (can't remember for sure, but after that '07-'08 time frame ?) DID have channel routing from the neck pup to the control cavity ... usually if the neck had the flat bottom machines, the body was channel routed ... but again, I can't confirm it in all cases as I stopped buying them post 2006 birth date ..

14. Bluelephant4

Bluelephant4

I have the standard precision and the routing isn't but the pickup cavity is visible, as are the pots.

15. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Please forgive me...I must correct my previous post. The six VM Squier Jazz basses I have contain one continuous rout from the NECK pickup to the control plate area. Sorry for my mistake. My bottom line remains the same. They need the pickguard to cover this and they are great basses!

16. mack_avz

mack_avz

I'm back but without the pics. Not enough battery so the phone won't let me take any photos... But I looked under the pickguard and it looks just like this one [​IMG]

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mack, that is a Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz, not a Squier Standard ... the Standards at the end of their run look like that, but up to about 2006+ range there was just the enlarged route around the neck pup, no channel routing to the control cavity ... so the neck pup opening looked the same on the G string side as it does on the E string side ... and no copper shielding ...

18. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Yep, I've got a Standard that once was Antique Burst, currently being neglected and unfinished due to a severe lack in free time.

The Neck P'up IS oversized and not very aesthetically pleasing.
    So I seriously doubt one would want to show it off.

I've yet to understand their thinking on cutting them like this.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have a Squier Indo-Jazz fretless...it may be the Jaco knock-off. I got it used in a GC deal that included my 2010 P-V.

It may have originally came w/o a pg as the routing around the pu's is clean & no channels are visible.

20. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

I own a Candy Apple Red Squier Jazz Bass "Standard" model, purchased in 2010. Mine is routed EXACTLY like this white one.

21. johnson79

johnson79

I'm curious. Does the OP have one of these basses? If so why is he not removing the pickguard and checking? If not, what is the point of this?