1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Do you own AC/DC - Back in Black?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elgecko, Dec 3, 2013.

Do you own AC/DC - Back in Black?

1. Yes

98 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Hell's carrots

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. elgecko

elgecko

Part 6 in my "Do you own [insert album]?" series :p

[​IMG]

Back in Black. Released in 1980, AC/DC's sixth album, the one they were working on when Bon Scott died from misadventure. Brian Johnson's first album with AC/DC and the source of everlasting Classic Rock radio fodder. Generally accepted as the fourth best selling album of all time behind Thriller, Dark Side, and The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975.

I don't own this one. I don't not like AC/DC but back in the days of albums, my funds were limited and I had to be very selective of which ones I bought. I never got around to it.

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Never did own it myself. But my buddies and I sure wore it out back in the day. It was either Back in Black or Billy Squier's Don't Say No pretty much all the time.

3. zachoff

zachoff

Heck yeah! I prefer the Bon Scott years, but this album is a classic.

4. TL5

TL5

I bought it on vinyl back in 1980. Re-purchased a CD copy sometime later.
    I still have both copies.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new AC/DC album when Bon Scott was alive.

Although they continued to carry the flame really well with Brian, I noticed a change, and lost a bit of interest. Now the only AC/DC "albums" I listen to is the early raw stuff with Bon, or the "hits" compilations.

Uh, no. Didn't buy Back In Black. But "You Shook Me All Night Long" is without a doubt the most requested AC/DC tune by my bands' audiences over the years, and the most-guaranteed dance floor packing AC/DC song, IMHO, IME.

7. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

AC/DC are horrible.

8. Jamerman

Jamerman

Not that I'm saying "Your opinion is wrong, so is your life", but if you're going to put an opinion that is quite unpopular and not explain it at all, don't.

I have Back in Black btw, kick-ass album

9. tommy gilstrap

tommy gilstrap Gold Supporting Member

No. Don't own any Sabbath or Metallica either. Grew up surrounded by it but never cared for it.

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Of course I do. They may repeat the same type of blues based rock n roll every album but they do it well most the time. Not my favorite band but I do really appreciate them. I too dig the Bon years MUCH more.

11. eriky4003

eriky4003

Still have the vinyl copy. Listening to it the other day with my 8 yr old. Bringin' her up right!

12. Wallygator

Wallygator

Absolutely own this album. If I never heard "You Shook Me All Night Long" again, that would be ok. It's a great album produced very well and the songs hold up 30 some odd years later.

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Got it when it came out. First album I ever bought.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  15. pedroims

pedroims

I started listening to metal in 1983 but I have never own anything from AC-DC, last year I though to buy some songs of them but could not find anything on itunes.

16. Basshappi

Basshappi

Sure do.
    Like others, I prefer the Bon Scott era AC/DC but Back In Black was a great album. They lost me after For Those About To Rock.

The very first rock concert I ever went to was Aerosmith, Frank Marino & Mohogany Rush and this opening band no one had ever heard of called AC/DC. :D

Saw them again on the Highway To Hell tour. It is the only concert I have ever walked out on. The volume was so crushingly loud I couldn't stay in the auditorium. I enjoyed the rest of the show from the parking lot along with a bunch of other people. By the time the show was over half of the audience was standing in the parking lot.

17. spanndrew

spanndrew

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's just ridiculous.

AC/DC are fantastic at what they do, which is play simple, guitar-oriented radio hits.

One of the best hard rock concerts I ever saw, even though Johnson's vocals were pretty dodgy.

They're not a band I could never tire of, but they sure do have some great stuff!

Most of their Bon Scott catalogue is very good, and some of the Johnson stuff is pretty good, as well.

Do they ever try new things?

Not really.

Do I own any albums by them?

No.

19. spanndrew

spanndrew

20. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Sure do. I'm not even a particularly big AC/DC fan, but you gotta have that one and Highway to Hell, IMO.

I also think that Back In Black is an especially well-produced album.

A friend of mine recently offered to give me the entire collection in mp3 format. I should follow up on that.

21. Richland123

Richland123

Yes, on vinyl and CD